X10QBI and v3/v4 cpus (e.g. supermicro sys-4048b-trft)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sno.cn

Sep 23, 2016
id be interested in how an E7 8870 V3 (for example) in 4-socket configuration (72 cores) fares against the latest 64 core EPYC offerings
I was looking at X10QBI I guess whenever this thread was started, but I went EPYC instead.

How cheap can you do a 4P E7 build nowadays? I had a quad E5-4650 V2 build I sold a couple months ago, and in some benchmarks it was reasonably close to single EPYC 7452. But with 64 EPYC cores, it's nowhere close. Performance/$ is a different story though.

Prof_G

Jan 16, 2020
E7v4s go all the way to 24 core I think so 96 vs 64(finding them maybe different story)

jpk

Nov 6, 2015
I've been really busy and haven't had any time to look into this again :rolleyes:

1. fears that (as mentioned previously) v3 processors don't work with it. What would I do if that happens? (BMC cards were mentioned previously, but I am still unclear as to how they could help one navigate this issue)
2. I also want at least 512 GB of ram in my machine, but in case I fork out all that money just to find out that the RAM doesn't work, how do I make absolute sure that the RAM will be compatible??
1. I feel pretty confident that v3/4 CPUs work in here with the mem1.01 cards. I haven't done any real stress testing, but so far in my experience, it has been very stable. Again, this is just my experience!
2. I had 16 sticks of M393B2G70BH0-YK0 lying around, so I put that in and it works great. I have some M393B2G70BH0-CK0 that I will try some time too (in other memory cards/CPUs), but haven't tried yet. Other posters before have also reported what works for them.
(links to my two dimms:
M393B2G70BH0-YK0 | RDIMM | Samsung Module | Semiconductor
M393B2G70BH0-CK0 | RDIMM | Samsung Module | Semiconductor
)

As for EPYC, I probably should looked into that, but I just have a thing for high socket count machines and I have a fair amount of DDR3 lying around, so I just got really excited and jumped headfirst in :D

At a quick glance, it looks like the dual socket EYPC SM boards have around 5 pci-e slots, only one of which is usable if you put 2 GPUs in there. I would want at least 10gb network (I have a 40gb card in the current machine) and a raid card, so that means I wouldn't be able to use 2 GPUs.
Also, trying to get up to 512GB DDR4 in 16 sockets would probably cost around $1500. If I wanted to actually be able to get 2 GPUs in there and went with a single socket, it would about $2500 for 512GB. The EPYC would probably be a bit faster, but because DDR3 is so cheap it seems like the only loser here is my electricity bill :p (which is somewhat of a concern, tbh)

My whole reason for doing this in the first place was I had a new workload that ran over the 20 cores I have in my current main machine, but in retrospect, I probably should've just added a second machine and used it. But that would've taken even more power in the long run, so I'm hoping that the quad-socket option will be a decent way for me to go for a while.

I'm hoping for around 40-60 cores - I initially was going to go with the 3.0ghz 12-core e7-8857 v2, but the ones I bought look like they had SMT disabled, and I've had no luck getting the ebay seller to honor their 3-year warranty. :rolleyes: So that was when I decided to go ahead & look for some v3/4 CPUs, and I found two e7-8891 v4 CPUs for cheap, so I'm at least back to where I was in terms of core count, and they are 2 generations newer.
As I add more CPUs, I'm planning on taking the extra cores I don't immediately need offline in the Linux host to keep their usage (and power consumption) down to a minimum, but I can easily turn them back online if I need.

How cheap can you do a 4P E7 build nowadays?
I'm in about $1250 w/ my two 8891v4 CPUs and 512GB of ram. I'm hoping to get two more for maybe $200/ea. And while it's not 64 cores, it's relatively close, and and at a higher clock speed for just a little more than what it would cost me to just get 512GB of DDR4. TBF, the v4 xeons are a few years older than the Rome EPYCs, but again, with EPYC 7452 CPUs going for around $1.5k each, I can live with a slightly slower machine for my home computing needs.

Reactions: angel_bee

PabloChakon

Jun 2, 2020
ok so im really putting in my time but I know **it about this topic. I built 2699 2 of them and 2695 both v4 but never had BMC or whatever problems :D I need help and I would be willing to pay for that help so I can avoid a third purchase of mobo and ram and selling it for less than I paid :D
I have 8890 v3s for sale that I am planning on giving another go putting together. I have 2x x10qbi already but we paid a company here to put them together. Unfortunately the person helping us has moved away and cant help. I would really love to use these last 4 cpus I have and put them to good use.Now after the story how does this look? what else do I need?

angel_bee

Jul 24, 2020
ok so im really putting in my time but I know **it about this topic. I built 2699 2 of them and 2695 both v4 but never had BMC or whatever problems :D I need help and I would be willing to pay for that help so I can avoid a third purchase of mobo and ram and selling it for less than I paid :D
I have 8890 v3s for sale that I am planning on giving another go putting together. I have 2x x10qbi already but we paid a company here to put them together. Unfortunately the person helping us has moved away and cant help. I would really love to use these last 4 cpus I have and put them to good use.Now after the story how does this look? what else do I need?
hey, i managed to get my x10qbi working. feel free to DM me and tell me what your issues are :)

PabloChakon

Jun 2, 2020
hey, i managed to get my x10qbi working. feel free to DM me and tell me what your issues are :)
well for starters I dont know what to actually buy and put together. A lot of my options are closed as I am from serbia
I have a pair of 8890 v3s and thats it for now. I have sold 1 mobo beginning of the year as it was a replacement for the 2 systems we have just in case. But then I got the 8890 v3s tested and workingand would like to put them to good use but I dont even know where to start from :/
I have access to the german market and can buy things there easily so im looking for the most painless solution possible that wont break the bank to the point where a 3990x threadripper sounds better

angel_bee

Jul 24, 2020
well for starters I dont know what to actually buy and put together. A lot of my options are closed as I am from serbia
I have a pair of 8890 v3s and thats it for now. I have sold 1 mobo beginning of the year as it was a replacement for the 2 systems we have just in case. But then I got the 8890 v3s tested and workingand would like to put them to good use but I dont even know where to start from :/
I have access to the german market and can buy things there easily so im looking for the most painless solution possible that wont break the bank to the point where a 3990x threadripper sounds better
well what parts are you missing? ram? or...

PabloChakon

Jun 2, 2020
well what parts are you missing? ram? or...
Well im starting from scratch now so everything. In the link is the cheapest x10qbi listed yi can find. All others at this moment are 1200$ and over. That will change as it changes often as I follow for the last few months but im looking at the link and the forum but cant seem to figure out if this coups work or not. It is a x10qbi inside. It has all the mem boards rev 1.01 as I asked the seller. But they dont know to tell me anything else about it, if its password protected or not etc. Due to corona I cant drive there that easily and check it out but even if I could not sure how I would. So here I am asking for quidance on how to buy it and what to buy to be the most sure I can be that it will work without a lot of headache with passwords and everything else

angel_bee

Jul 24, 2020
well, if the seller is willing, maybe you could ask them to reset the IPMI password for you? or you can message a different seller on ebay (i know of one) who you can buy a new BMC/LAN board from. From there, you could access the IPMI web interface and then flash a fresh, no-password BIOS from there.

If I were starting with not alot of extra money to throw around and test things but I have the processor on hand already, I personally would go for a pre-built x10qbi with everything at the desired spec except the processor. You don't wana risk ram compatibility issues and password issues... etc. because others have done the system testing and tweaking for you already.

tconrado

Jul 17, 2020
if, in the future u need more CPU, my recommendation would be to sell you pair of 8890v3 and buy 4 x 8880v3, you can get a set of 4 for something around $300 (at US), and that should be the same resell value of yours... you have 4 cpu slot server, make good use of it...
I'm guessing in here, but I think u can import those...

@jpk I spent $2100 for x10qb +512GB RAM... did u spent only $1250 on yours?

angel_bee

Jul 24, 2020
if, in the future u need more CPU, my recommendation would be to sell you pair of 8890v3 and buy 4 x 8880v3, you can get a set of 4 for something around $300 (at US), and that should be the same resell value of yours... you have 4 cpu slot server, make good use of it...
I'm guessing in here, but I think u can import those...

@jpk I spent $2100 for x10qb +512GB RAM... did u spent only $1250 on yours?
$2100 usd for the whole prebuilt + 512 GB ram sounds about the price one should be expecting. which is quite good already in my opinion. i mean yes, you can always build from scratch with cheaper RAM and a barebone 8048-TRFT system, but having everything tested and working save for the CPUs is just a tiny bit more money spent for a whole lot of peace of mind in my opinion.

i agree. E7-8890 v3s are at a premium for not that much performance increase over 8880 v3 at all. definitely worth considering if upgrading to quad CPU configuration. i bought 4 x 8880 v3s from this ebay seller for $100 USD each ($400 all up), using best offer. I think it's quite the deal considering this is actually the RETAIL cpu, and not the engineering sample. You'd usually find engineering samples listed at around $120 USD each. I'm pretty sure they ship to all countries as I'm in Australia and I successfully received it two days ago.
Intel Xeon E7-8880 V3 2.30GHz 45MB 18 Core 9.6GT/s 150W CPU Processor SR21X | eBay

@PabloChakon i would love to help you but I am just simply confused as to what parts you already have. You said you're missing everything, but you said you have a mobo...?
could you please state clearly what you have on hand?
thanks

PabloChakon

Jun 2, 2020
$2100 usd for the whole prebuilt + 512 GB ram sounds about the price one should be expecting. which is quite good already in my opinion. i mean yes, you can always build from scratch with cheaper RAM and a barebone 8048-TRFT system, but having everything tested and working save for the CPUs is just a tiny bit more money spent for a whole lot of peace of mind in my opinion.

i agree. E7-8890 v3s are at a premium for not that much performance increase over 8880 v3 at all. definitely worth considering if upgrading to quad CPU configuration. i bought 4 x 8880 v3s from this ebay seller for $100 USD each ($400 all up), using best offer. I think it's quite the deal considering this is actually the RETAIL cpu, and not the engineering sample. You'd usually find engineering samples listed at around $120 USD each. I'm pretty sure they ship to all countries as I'm in Australia and I successfully received it two days ago.
Intel Xeon E7-8880 V3 2.30GHz 45MB 18 Core 9.6GT/s 150W CPU Processor SR21X | eBay

@PabloChakon i would love to help you but I am just simply confused as to what parts you already have. You said you're missing everything, but you said you have a mobo...?
thanks
Hey sorry

thanks
Hey sorry for the late reply
I have 2 systems already working x10qbi. We had a guy from a company here that set those two up once we got them. We originally had 3 but 1 kept having issues, we changed a bunch of things but i just got sick of it having ssd issues etc. So now I have 2 set up and have 4x 8890v3s on hand that arrived late and im going back and forth between selling them or reusing them. I dont have ram but I can get it. The listing I posted is the only system I can see that is all in one and isnt 2000+$ with 0 ram. I do have money to spend but not throw thats where my headache is with it. The seller on ebay I linked barely speaks english and doesnt know much, at least the person answering. Like nothing at all, out of 5 questions 4 answers were let me check and then a week later ,,I cant get the information at this moment,, or something similar. They do have a high reputation there for servers but I think its a language barrier more than anything.
So this would be my first build of the x10qbi that I do on my own, the guy who initially did it isnt available.I did oversee a lot of it but I aint going to lie, im not sure of most of it :D
I would be open to pay for some help on what parts and where to get them for a reasonable price. I actually dont need any ram (we use it for cpu rendering and even 32gb is a overkill for what we do since its always cut up in scenes) so I would go with minimum needed ram and a basic hdd of 1tb in it. Everything would be for the cpu power on its own

angel_bee

Jul 24, 2020
Hey sorry

Hey sorry for the late reply
I have 2 systems already working x10qbi. We had a guy from a company here that set those two up once we got them. We originally had 3 but 1 kept having issues, we changed a bunch of things but i just got sick of it having ssd issues etc. So now I have 2 set up and have 4x 8890v3s on hand that arrived late and im going back and forth between selling them or reusing them. I dont have ram but I can get it. The listing I posted is the only system I can see that is all in one and isnt 2000+$ with 0 ram. I do have money to spend but not throw thats where my headache is with it. The seller on ebay I linked barely speaks english and doesnt know much, at least the person answering. Like nothing at all, out of 5 questions 4 answers were let me check and then a week later ,,I cant get the information at this moment,, or something similar. They do have a high reputation there for servers but I think its a language barrier more than anything.
So this would be my first build of the x10qbi that I do on my own, the guy who initially did it isnt available.I did oversee a lot of it but I aint going to lie, im not sure of most of it :D
I would be open to pay for some help on what parts and where to get them for a reasonable price. I actually dont need any ram (we use it for cpu rendering and even 32gb is a overkill for what we do since its always cut up in scenes) so I would go with minimum needed ram and a basic hdd of 1tb in it. Everything would be for the cpu power on its own
im pretty sure you can get some really decent system + ram for cheap. this for example is in the UK: Supermicro SuperServer CSE-848X 4x E7-4820v2 64GB Ram X10QBi 24x3.5" Bay Server | eBay

it has everything pre-installed and you can just swap out the CPU. postage is free but double check with them - i've bought from them before and they are really good. it's 64gb of ram which is more than you say you need, but i think it's necessary anyways because you've got a whopping 72 cores that each require a certain amount of ram when running stuff in parallel. when you say you need 32 GB, in my head im thinking it's way too small compared to what I personally would use for my 4 x 8880 v3s (128GB+), but I take your word for it anyways. and if you do end up getting that, you can buy any SATA or SAS HDD locally. hope that helps

P.S. the price listed is including VAT tax (20%) in the EU. i dont know about how things work in serbia, but you can ask the seller to zero-rate the VAT for you if it doesn't apply to your country, so the actual price is 20% less than listed

P.P.S. the model listed in the link above does not include the IPMI card i think. you'd need to check with the seller before if you want to buy that one (the card name is: Supermicro AOM-X10QBi-A Add-on Module (1x VGA, Dual 10GBase-T Ports, IPMI LAN Port)) and make sure they include it. As well as that, if you want to use the SAS backplane for hard drives, you probably need to buy a SAS controller as it's not listed with the device too. An LSI MEGARAID 9361-8i comes with the higher spec models from the same seller (such as this one: Supermicro SuperServer CSE-848X 4x E7-4820v2 256GB Ram X10QBi 24x Bay Server | eBay) so you might want to add that on or buy separately for your front caddy hard drives to work. But if you want to cheap out, the X10qbi does have onboard SATA ports if you don't want to use the SAS backplane.

UPDATE: I msged the seller and he says shipping to Serbia is free. so there's that.

Last edited:
Reactions: name stolen

jpk

Nov 6, 2015
@tconrado Yeah, that's it with the 2x 8891 v4 CPUs (I had the 512GB of ram kinda just sitting around). I have considered going with v3 CPUs because they are so much cheaper and not too much slower than v4, but honestly, I haven't even had any time to even turn it on in the past almost month :p
I think if you need to buy memory, right now DDR4 prices aren't all that much more than DDR3, and is so much more future proof. If I had to build a system from scratch, I would probably go w/ an dual e5 v4 system and DDR4, but I also would be fine with "only" 40 cores

tconrado

Jul 17, 2020
Hey guys,

we are building the 2nd x10qbi;

the 1st is running with 4 x 8890v4 + 1TB of LRDIMM Samsung 1333MHz (32 x 32GB) + 24 3TB SAS 7200 + 5 pci-e nvme and is fine.

The second we tried 4 x 8890 v3 and we got this VMSE DC detect failure... also, sometimes we can get termal trips on processors 1, 3, 4
but sometimes the system does load and the stress test go fine (with half of memboards 512GB)
so we did move the memboards from the working unit to this one, and we got the same error. Did someone see that before?

1599909275577.png

jpk

Nov 6, 2015
I haven't seen that particular error before, but I have seen similar errors when a memory dimm wasn't seated quite right, or the memory card weren't loaded exactly the same, but if it happens with the known good memory boards from the running machines, then that seems a little less likely.

Do the new boards work in the first machine?
Have you tried re-seating the cpus in the second?

The unhelpful error I got when I had the memory cards mismatched was DDR training failure

Attachments

tconrado

Jul 17, 2020
@jpk the funny thing is that when it does boot, I get the very same training error in the very same C1slot...

we did that, full swap of memboards (from the working server to the bad one)... and we still getting the same error, so it is safe to assume that this not memory or board related.
@agentpatience @gmaxwheel did u guys have any similar experience?

we will swap in the processors from the bad server to the good one.. I guess it is safer than doing the opposite (as we can have a fault mainboard)

tconrado

Jul 17, 2020

thanks
could you please confirm that you got the 8880v3 working?