X10DRL-CT won't recognize a second e5-2683v3

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
I have tried on two different boards- the supermicro x10drl-CT and Separate T7810 workstation (dual chip c612, I believe)

I have two e5-2683v3 chips- both non-ES (306f2, i believe- regardless, they are showing the same... Sorry, am typing from memory/at the Airport) the only even remotely odd thing about this is that the pervious owner lapped (polished) on of the chips pretty well-- but enough of the model markings remain that I don't think this is a re-marking situation.)

I also have a single chip board that will post with either chip.

Either board will boot/post with either chip slotted in CPU1. I've also explored changing out DIMMs, and eventully settled on leving one working rDIMM slotted per socket.

When I add the second processor it posts/comes on, but bios doesn't recognize the second processor. (But it definitely warms up--using a powered heatsink is a MUST!

Have tried clearing CMOS..... But I am running out of ideas-- is there anything obvious I am missing?

Am beginning to think that somethink like the QPI part of one of the CPUs might be bad?

Seems like a long shot to think that both motherboards would be bad... In the same way...

Anyone have any ideas??

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Here are some common troubleshooting steps I have done in the past.

Take a surgical alcohol wipe and clean the CPU contact pads and let it dry. I know you said each CPU in it's own boots fine. So this may not make a difference but does not hurt to make sure the contracts are clean.

Check for bent socket pins and blow out any debris

Check for unused standoffs that can cause shorts

Update the BIOS.

Serverking

The quieter you are, the more you can hear...
Jan 6, 2019
Also make sure you don't tighten the heatsink to much... I had that problem SO many times. Take CPU out every time and wait few mins then lightly tight.

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
Thanks- sorry for delayed reply- work travel issues getting home.

I looked for pins bent— all looked good on both boards- but going to give them both another look.

I’ve already tried the elcohol wipe trick, but If I am checking socket 2, might as well try once more!

The heat sink too tight issue— I hadn’t even considered that idea.... but makes sense- off to try (as wife says she’s ready to go grab dinner... lol) very good point/idea. Since I had tightened it all the way down, you could well be onto something.

Thanks!!
-Matt