WTB/WTT: vertical SFF-8087 socket or BPN-SASI28A (for Supermicro M28SAB drive adapter )

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
Greetings all,

I got some Supermicro M28SAB-OEM drive adapters, (sane as the non-OEM version, but without the protective backplate and fan unit) but one unfortunately had one of the two Foxconn SFF-8087 connectors badly damaged in transit :( I can send it back for a refund, but they have no more stock to replace it with, and I would rather get it working if possible, and I need to decide soon. This is the stock picture of one in good shape:

Through some googling, it looks like someone on ebay had a ton of the one part I need, the BPN-SASI28A backplane for $20 shipped each at some point, but they stopped posting them unfortunately. Did anyone here happen to buy more than they needed of those when they were up and be willing to sell me one?

Alternately, I could use a vertical SFF-8087 connector where the connector goes straight into the board as in the picture (not sideways in the same plane as the board like most of them do) and find my soldering iron and try to fix it. DigiKey does not seem to have any SFF-8087 connectors like the one I need amazingly, and I don't know the exact part number. Does anyone know of anywhere else to get this part new, or if not, does anyone have a dead board I could salvage one from? The Intel RES2CV240 and RES3CV360 expanders have this type of connector, but I can't think of much else that does.

I have lots of stuff for trade in my usual sale/trade posts if you want to trade.

Thanks!

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
The connectors of that type I've seen would be tricky to solder. Guessing, but they were surface mount with about 0.5mm pitch. Are you sure you are up for that kind of solder rework? I'd hate for someone to get the part just to find that they can't replace it.

Try searching on Digikey and mouser. You might at least find part numbers to Google for.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
Thanks, I forgot about Mouser, I will check there too.

The larger and hopefully easier to solve problem is that the outer cage which the SFF-8087 cable clips into is badly bent and some of it's support legs broke off in the board, so at a minimum that part has to be replaced.

My eyes are great close up, but my motor control is not so great - I soldered a US/Japan country switch into my gamecube if that gives you any idea, but that was my limit :) If I can find my Hakko 836, I am pretty sure I have a a 0.2mm tip for it, but replacing the entire connector would be very tricky since I don't have a rework station. Hopefully the inner connector just needs to be unbent and maybe a reflow on some wires - if any of the pads are broken though, it's a lost cause.

Really I would love to find a replacement backplane, but if I can find the right part for cheap, I figure it's worth a shot - I hate to see repairable equipment go to waste.