EU WTB / WTT: E5 v3/v4 2603/2609 - DDR4 Ram - partially done

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Hi, i just bought an SYS-F628R3-R72B+ for a quite nice price ,by accident' that should arrive during the next weeks. Will put this on stock/in the Labs for an future upgrade at the colo for now but would like to test the nodes after receipt.

So, looking for some CPU and RAM, not necessary best of breed but sufficient for testing/running in the Labs. ES CPU's might be fine, too.

So, every offer to get the barebones running is fine.

If you would trade,i could offer some 6G/12G Raid Controllers/HBA, different 1366-Boards, Sc815, ComnectX2 dual-port 40/10 and similar, all located in Germany.

Alex

Last edited:

NSKA

Nov 17, 2015
I've got a DL160 G9 with 8gb DDR4 and an E5-2609v4. I am selling it for 1k so it could be good money just for the parts and then you sell the chassis. If your interested LMK.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Sorry, the whole 4-Node System wasn't too much above this before shipping and customs. I really only need CPU and RAM to get the nodes up one after another ...

NSKA

Nov 17, 2015
Well guess why it was cheap? The cpu and ram will run you about 4 times what you paid.

abq

May 23, 2015
Congrats on your SYS-F628R3-R72B purchase! You need something like recent 'random hardware' deal. Geene was giving equipment away, but not many on this forum link were sharing information. I think many are protecting low ball deals, and intend to flip for large profits. I went honest, and shared typical ebay prices for items with Geene and anyone who asked. Cost me more, but sleep better at night, and Geene still gave great deal, assuming i actually get items;) ...i may have some cheap DDR4/16GB/$50 for you, will check tonight.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Hi abq,
yes, saw what geene listed, but Definitely can't Pickup ...

also didn't realize he had ddr4 16gb modules, i would be Definitely interested in ,some' for this Price ... would be great to hear from you about this!

nice Thing about the Deal was that there is also the Dual 10GBit SFP+ Module in them, this ultimately made my decission to give it a try ...

Alex

abq

May 23, 2015
Sorry for confusion. DDR4 is not from Geene. ...I actually paid $100 ea for my 16GB DDR4 sticks, but upgrading and letting go at good price now ;)

I really like the sfp+ interconnect, sounds like you have nice start to high performance home lab!

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
I really like the sfp+ interconnect, sounds like you have nice start to high performance home lab!
Yes, i really want to be prepared when v3 or v4 chips drop like the 2670 did, had quite an hassle getting Dual-2011 boards in Europe.

Will do some eval-setups on these nodes regarding distributed storage and virtualization. Want to take a closer look at Ceph, Sheepdog and also GlusterFS (where my first setups badly failed regarding performance) and see if Open-Stack and/or oVirt could be an alternative for Proxmox mid-term. Currently i do these things on 1366-Systems that burn way too much energy for this purpose and are quite slow ...

So, as long as cpu/ram doesn't drop there is no real need for high core-count and ton's of ram, if things get cheaper i might put the whole thing into production with higher-end cpu`s and enough ram.

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Just out of curiosity:
Is sheepdog still in dev?
What LGA1366 CPUs are you using and RAM frequency? What makes this slow?

Will do some eval-setups on these nodes regarding distributed storage and virtualization. Want to take a closer look at Ceph, Sheepdog and also GlusterFS (where my first setups badly failed regarding performance) and see if Open-Stack and/or oVirt could be an alternative for Proxmox mid-term. Currently i do these things on 1366-Systems that burn way too much energy for this purpose and are quite slow ...

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Sheepdog had stable-release, didn't try it yet ...

Branches · sheepdog/sheepdog · GitHub

For the 1366, this are 5405 currently, had some 5640 that should do better, but in the end they lack pcie3 ...
I do setup`s where i currently get 3.4Gb/s / 220k IOPS over two chassis on my 2670 over IB - guess the 1366 / Chipset / IO-Subsystem is simply not capable to do this, even with faster CPU, and if it is there is no room to host any VMs the same time ....

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
got CPU complete for the first strike with this monster but still open for more CPU/RAM.

arrived today and unfortunately needs some lower left back :( guess someone at parcel-service or customs dramatically underestimated the weight ... had aquick ckeck on the node itself, that looks ok. will put CPU and RAM tomorrow to verify.

will get a total of 2x 2603v3 for two storage-centric nodes and 2x 2683v3 for the other two nodes and have a total of 15x 8gb RAM now.