EU WTB: used Xeon Bronze/Silver

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

henyo

Nov 28, 2015
Poland
Hi All!

Looking for a cheap, used Xeon Bronze or Silver - I have to check (before RMA) what is causing memory issues/errors - SuperMicro mainboard or Xeon sitting on that mainboard. I have found a new Xeon Bronze 3204 for ~200 euro... but, as always, it would be great to lower the cost of the troubleshooting.
Shipping to Poland, payment via Paypal

Thx!

henyo

Nov 28, 2015
Poland
It is quite simple - the mainboard is a brand new, acquired from a local SM distributor and the CPU - Xeon Gold 6123 was snatched via auction relatively cheap (~500euro) as a used part. So I think it would be unfair just to simply RMA the mobo, if there is even a slight possibility that the CPU is a root of problems. All the issues/errors are on D1 and/or E1 memory slots (the board in question is SM X11SPH-NCTF), the modules I use are on the SM compatibility lists and work properly in A/B memory slots. And no, I cannot return the CPU.

/EDIT/ Xeon Gold 6126 - my bad
/EDIT2/ Poland
/EDIT3/ "training errors", "single bit errors", no issues with those memory modules on EPYC platform, identical memory modules, CPU cleaned with IPA before install, no bent pins, torque wrench used, following instructions, etc. Spend copious amount of time checking everything over and over. Anyway thx for asking and will to help :)
@Rand - BIOS the latest and greatest. Did update it due to the issues. Hynix 16GB - MEM-DR416L-HL06-ER26

Last edited:

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
I guess its an engineering sample or something? Then you can have all sorts of strange behaviour.

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
So what kind of problems are found? Single bit memory faults? Have you tried lowering the clock towards the memories? Checked the socket for bent pins? CPU was clean on its pads before assembly? Everything torqued in correctly when assembling?

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
Sorry. I know you asked about buying stuff. But if the fault can be found without purchasing new stuff at least I'd be happy ;)

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Which bios version are you using and which memory modules?
Also this:
So what kind of problems are found? Single bit memory faults?
non correctable memory error, or correctable...
I have the same board and get lots of mem errors all the time due to rank differences of my modules...