WTB [US] Norco RPC-432 or similar 4U short depth chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
As the title says, looking for a Norco RPC-432 4U chassis to replace my RPC-4308. I'm moving off the 5x4TB RAID / DrivePool array and would like a chassis that has front fans and more cooling - and something that can accommodate longer graphics cards

Unfortunately, due to limited rack depth, I can't really use chassis that are > 16"

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I have a NORCO RPC-431 but I imagine the cost to ship it might make a sale impossible.

Reactions: hmw

mimino

Nov 2, 2018
@mimino

Tri state NY/NJ/CT area (Westchester to be exact).
That's a nice coincidence, I'm in Westchester too!
Unfortunately, according to the specs it doesn't seem like RPC-431 has any 5.25' drive bays :( Can you confirm that?
I need to put the Icy Dock in it.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
That's a nice coincidence, I'm in Westchester too!
Unfortunately, according to the specs it doesn't seem like RPC-431 has any 5.25' drive bays :( Can you confirm that?
I need to put the Icy Dock in it.
Correct. It is bayless.

Reactions: mimino

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
I had to turn down @IamSpartacus ’s generous offer because I’m in SV and as he points out - postage would be a nightmare

and it is bayless

@mimino - I’m thinking about the Athena Power 4UC438. It’s 16” and has 3 * 5.25” bays - perfect for some NVMe and SATA IcyDocks. I suspect one can finagle two 120mm fans as well in the front and perhaps one 120mm fan by the side of the bays so that the drives are cool.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
@IamSpartacus - what fans are those in the Norco chassis? And I see a U.2 drive - does that keep cool without the fans blowing directly over it ?

mimino

Nov 2, 2018
@hmw Yeah, that Athena looks pretty good, but it's a bit too much for me to stomach at this point. Spouse would definitely not approve this purchase :(

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
@hmw Yeah, that Athena looks pretty good, but it's a bit too much for me to stomach at this point. Spouse would definitely not approve this purchase :(
hah yeah I’m in the same boat. You’d think that working for arguably the largest networking company in the world means that the better half would approve of a bigger “home lab” - nope

so now I’m trying to scale down and do hyperconverged infra. I’ve decided to shift from rust to solid state and move 4-5 different servers into one box. With no need for spinners - the Norco 4308 just doesn’t make sense ...

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Hello @IamSpartacus are you still open to selling this Norco case? I'm located in NJ, how much were you looking for on it? Feel free to PM me once you see this
I still have the case, barebones with no fans in it. I'd be willing to part with it for $50 local pickup. I'm in Pleasantville, NY if that's at all feasible for you.