[WTB US] failed HP Z800 workstation power supply psu

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
The HP Z800 power supplies are well known for their early demise due to poor quality capacitors. I'm looking to buy such failed power supplies for analysis. please PM me if you have one. thanks.

Reactions: Samir

perdrix

Mar 3, 2016
I have one - I'm in the UK

PS I already did a bulk re-cap - that wasn't the problem in this case.

David

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I have one - I'm in the UK

PS I already did a bulk re-cap - that wasn't the problem in this case.

David
Thanks.. i'm in the US so it would probably be too expensive to ship.

Just curious, what was the failure behavior you experienced?

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I know my z420, it seems like the optional memory shroud which pushed heat through the power supply would have caused the same issue. Mine doesn't have that optional shroud, but if the z800 is as fully baffled as the current z8 line, I would think maybe that might be a strong contributor.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I know my z420, it seems like the optional memory shroud which pushed heat through the power supply would have caused the same issue. Mine doesn't have that optional shroud, but if the z800 is as fully baffled as the current z8 line, I would think maybe that might be a strong contributor.
I don't know about the current Z8 line, but the Z800, Z820, and Z840 all have a 3 zone cooling design. the PSU has it's own dedicated cooling channel where it pulls fresh air in from the front through the PSU and out the back. The CPU/RAM has their own zone, and the HDD/PCIe cards have the 3rd zone. It's a bit like the old DEC Alpha personal workstation design... if anyone is familiar LOL

The PSU problem is most prevalent with the Z800 and less so with the newer models. Unfortunately, although they all look similar, the pinout design is physically and electrically different among all 3 generations... like WTF HP??? LOL otherwise the best solution would be to take a Z840 PSU and put it in a Z800 or Z820.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Makes total sense! Glad to see they kept the psu to its own cooling area in the z8 series. On the z420 that I upgraded with LRDIMMs, the additional heat would have cooked the power supply pretty easily. Instead I just used a 'memory cooler' from corsair and that's done great.