WTB - US: Defective (!) DDR4 ECC Unbuffered

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Yorick

Apr 9, 2020
Not kidding, for a finder's fee and shipping I am looking for a stick of DDR4 ECC Unbuffered, any size, that has at least single-bit errors. "Goldilocks" would be a stick that throws errors in production, but still allows the machine to boot. It'll be used in a SuperMicro X11SSH-F to test IPMI and OS-level ECC alerting.

I am in MA, to keep this reasonable, "lower contiguous 48" would be the right spot I think.

Reactions: Samir

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
I remember an article about someone using a really bright, hot light to induce memory errors.
I couldn't find a reference for it, but I did find one using a heat gun to induce errors.
Using Heat Gun to Cause ECC Memory Errors

Of course, the memory will boot and work fine until you apply the heat gun.
Happy to get a finders fee.

Reactions: Yorick

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
I found the heat lamp induced memory error paper:
https://www.cs.princeton.edu/~appel/papers/memerr.pdf

Infrared radiation produces heat, and it is well known that electronic components become unreliable at high temperatures.Since we lacked the time or inclination to learn the oil-drilling trade, we decided to use heat. We induced memory errors in a desktop PC by opening the box and shining light on the memory chips. We used a clip-on lamp with a flexible gooseneck, equipped with a 50-watt spotlight bulb.

Reactions: Samir and Yorick