WTB Ubiquiti network equipment

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
I'm willing to buy the following items secondhand but still working.

Ubiquiti ES-16-XG Edge Switch (Router)
Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch - (ES-48-LITE) (Distribution Switch)

Ill buy a Ubiquiti switch as well for (Top of Rack Switch) as well. If you have a firewall that works with Ubiquiti that can handle 10G throughput id be inclined to see what you have to offer as well.

Enjoy selling and ill be delighted to buy!

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
Ubiquiti ES-16-XG Edge Switch (Router)
Are you sure?? I bought one ... I regret it!!!
If you already know the pitfalls of these units and still want to buy .... I should have it listed later tonight.

Basically if you stick to Ubiquiti on the SFP+ side and don't expect 10Gb speed on the RJ45 side, you "should" be fine.

Just review the threads here or on the UBNT forums about it - the info is there.

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
Are you sure?? I bought one ... I regret it!!!
If you already know the pitfalls of these units and still want to buy .... I should have it listed later tonight.

Basically if you stick to Ubiquiti on the SFP+ side and don't expect 10Gb speed on the RJ45 side, you "should" be fine.

Just review the threads here or on the UBNT forums about it - the info is there.
I've head some good reviews about Ubiquiti and tested some software so I just fell in love with the hardware and software.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
The 16-XG is as @Netwerkz101 says. Pretty much broken. Both the Edgeswitch version (ES-16-XG) and the ubiquiti managed version (US-16-XG) are affected.

The copper ports only work at 1gbe (when they work at all). And the SFP+ are way to finicky for practical use. It's hit-and-miss on a good day.

Worse, Ubiquiti support has been pathetic and unresponsive. As noted above, check the ubiquiti forums. The whole sad story is there for anyone to read for themselves.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
I have one of these, i guess i havent had as bad of an experience, i agree the Copper ports seem almost USELESS on this guy especially with Intel based Nics... but the SFPs i have been using with Mellanox ConnectX-3 Pro Cards with QSFP -> SFP+ Converters so far been solid as a rock with those...

Had a 40GBe switch from Mellanox however too noisy for the basement so i went this route cause the 10Gb Switch is just so darn QUIET! compared to what i had ;)

**NOTE Mine is a BETA***

Reactions: freebsdrules

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
I have one of these, i guess i havent had as bad of an experience, i agree the Copper ports seem almost USELESS on this guy especially with Intel based Nics... but the SFPs i have been using with Mellanox ConnectX-3 Pro Cards with QSFP -> SFP+ Converters so far been solid as a rock with those...

Had a 40GBe switch from Mellanox however too noisy for the basement so i went this route cause the 10Gb Switch is just so darn QUIET! compared to what i had ;)

**NOTE Mine is a BETA***
When you say the copper ports are useless what do you mean?

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
When you say the copper ports are useless what do you mean?
I mean anytime i have had a 10Gb Nic that was intel based it never responded correctly (wouldnt link correctly, or you would force it to 1Gb to work) they have known issues with Intel Adapters with the Copper... and since most server boards come With Intel Adapters kinda an issue.

Reactions: ELit3

freebsdrules

Aug 16, 2017

**NOTE Mine is a BETA***
My experience is similar to yours although admittedly, I haven't used the copper ports. For 10gbps, I exclusively use fiber right now and this has actually worked as a great aggregation switch for me. No issues at all. BETA version as well. I also have the Ubiquiti Edgerouter Infinity and have been very impressed.

Matt Lund

Oct 20, 2016
This is very helpful to know. I've personally gone down the copper road because I have a Xeon-D with embedded copper 10gbe and wanted 10gbe PTP connectivity with a desktop (so I picked up an intel copper nic for the desktop). So I started wondering about the ubiquiti as well in hopes that I could get 10gb copper throughput and have a means to bridge in connectivity with SFP+ stuff (which I don't own yet). Anyway, thx.

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
My experience has been mostly positive, at least on the sfp+ side of things. I bought some cisco sfp+ adapters that won't work but everything else I've used gives me 10Gb no problem. I only use the rj45 ports for 1Gb uplinks so I have no comment about their 10Gb workings. You can also swap the fans for itty bitty 40mm noctuas and then you have a near silent 10Gb switch.

CookiesLikeWhoa

Sep 7, 2016
The 16-XG is as @Netwerkz101 says. Pretty much broken. Both the Edgeswitch version (ES-16-XG) and the ubiquiti managed version (US-16-XG) are affected.

The copper ports only work at 1gbe (when they work at all). And the SFP+ are way to finicky for practical use. It's hit-and-miss on a good day.

Worse, Ubiquiti support has been pathetic and unresponsive. As noted above, check the ubiquiti forums. The whole sad story is there for anyone to read for themselves.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I have two of the US-16-XG's at home. While I will agree the copper ports are only good for 1g. I've never had an issue with any of the SFP+ ports. Assuming you get a optic that is compatible (which is the same for any switch) there's never been an issue for me. Had 1 for over a year and the other for 6 months.

I'm not saying the stories aren't true, just haven't seen many about the SFP+ ports when using optics.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
The SFP+ ports on these switches do not work reliably with passive DAC (see ubnt forums for confirmation). Better with recent firmware, but still not good.

The copper ports are good for 1gbe, most of the time (save for the random/wierd STP blockage problem on cold start). But for 10Gbe with a current generation Intel NIC on the other end they are not stable and might (sometimes) negotiate to 1gbe or maybe not work at all.

The SFP+ ports work fine with compatible optics. Ubiquiti optics are good, as are most Arista.

But if all you want is a 12 port SFP+ switch with 1gbe there are a lot of better/cheaper/more stable options out there (assuming you are willing to buy used).

I remain hopeful that Ubiquiti will find a software fix for these issues and this switch will live up to its promise. I haven't bailed out and dumped mine (yet). But until they do I would have a very hard time recommending anyone buy one. And, given the experience with Ubiquiti in responding to this issue I've lost faith in them as a company I want to do business with, to wit: their lack of forthcoming-ness about the problem, their decision to take the switch from Beta to GA knowing full well that these problems exist, their decision to keep selling them with no disclosure of the problem to buyers and their flat-out refusals to accept returns on a clearly defective product (reported - not first hand info)

Reactions: ELit3

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
But if all you want is a 12 port SFP+ switch with 1gbe there are a lot of better/cheaper/more stable options out there (assuming you are willing to buy used).
Any options out there that match or beat the power consumption and noise level of the Ubiquiti switches while coming in at a lower cost(used)? I switched to a US-16-XG because I needed something quieter and more energy efficient than my Quanta and I think that was the appeal for a lot of buyers. For DACs it seems there are a fair number that have been identified now that work reliably, so I've never had a problem there, but I'm always open to more cost effective options.

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
If I can find a reliable 10G router with some good user ratings id like that as well I just don't want to have to spend over $1,000 on it like the cisco ASR 1,002 router.

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
My experience is similar to yours although admittedly, I haven't used the copper ports. For 10gbps, I exclusively use fiber right now and this has actually worked as a great aggregation switch for me. No issues at all. BETA version as well. I also have the Ubiquiti Edgerouter Infinity and have been very impressed.
Same here, using a mix of intel and mellanox cards, 3m cisco dacs.
Been running that alpha now for a couple of months without any issues on 2 switches.
Since these are just l2 storage fabrics, and i have no need for ethernet except 1 gb management.

I do think though that these have specific use cases where the work well

In my mind these things should have never left beta at the time they did