WTB SuperMicro X8DTH-6F or iF

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

scp

Aug 5, 2015
I see this on eBay for $359, supposedly new. Is this a good price or does someone here have one they'd like to sell?

scp

Aug 5, 2015
I have 2 of the X8DTE-F for sale...
Yeah. I bought one from you recently. I am looking for one of these same series that has the 7PCI slots. The onboard SAS is a bonus but not super necessary.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
I just got a sick deal on an X8DTH-6F, it's pretty flakey though. The IPMI console redirection is complete garbage and I'm having issues with the sensors on it. I was using SuperDoctor 5 just last night to check temps on everything(I had to do a re-detect) and now all the sensors disappeared except for the PMBus. The IPMI interface says the CPU temps are abnormal/overheat but HWMonitor says otherwise...lol. It's not a big deal but IDK why it's such a junk show compared to the X8DTi board I have lying around.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
Yeah I updated the IPMI firmware and BIOS already, first two things I did actually. I actually updated the IPMI before testing the console.

I'm in the BIOS now looking at the sensors and they're all showing as NA, I wonder if it has anything to do with me plugging in the chassis intrusion cable...

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
got it used, everything other than the ipmi sensors is fine right now. thought i might return it if i can't resolve the sensor issue with ipmiconfig -fd because sensor functionality is important to me.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
yeah, IMO most of the X8DTH-6F are overpriced right now, they're all easily 320+. I got mine for 100 + 11 shipping through a best offer. I haven't seen anymore come up with best offer, either auctions or buy-it-nows with absurd prices that are just too high for a 1366 board. If you don't need it soon just wait.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
T minus if you have 2 I would be interested in one as well

edit: OP, the sensor thing was resolved by doing ipmicfg -fd and then just shutting down the server by hitting the power button, unplugged, and then holding the power button for 30 seconds(discharges any power on the board) when i rebooted everything was normal again. just hope i don't have to do that often since i plan to use this server as my primary SAN device..

Last edited:

scp

Aug 5, 2015
T minus if you have 2 I would be interested in one as well

edit: OP, the sensor thing was resolved by doing ipmicfg -fd and then just shutting down the server by hitting the power button, unplugged, and then holding the power button for 30 seconds(discharges any power on the board) when i rebooted everything was normal again. just hope i don't have to do that often since i plan to use this server as my primary SAN device..
very helpful - thanks for the follow up on that.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
very helpful - thanks for the follow up on that.
the IPMI sh!t the bed again this morning...the login page isn't letting me login anymore with the default ADMIN info and when I check the sensor information again with superdoctor 5 it shows both PSUs as "warning" with zeroes for every value down the column, and again, all of the fan/cpu sensors are borked. can't redetect them in superdoctor 5. in the more detailed screen it shows everything as critical(fan, cpu temps, shows psus as "failed")

i would avoid this board if you can...

i'm pretty sure the ipmi froze up so i'm assuming that's why it wont let me log in. superdoctor 5 is borked now too, when I went to "redetect items", it kept spinning for like 5 minutes and when I tried to re-login to SD5 it's throwing an err_connection_refused in chrome. didn't have any of these issues with SD5 or sensors on my non-IPMI board.

RIP

scp

Aug 5, 2015
I mean I guess it could be on its way out but the return window is only 14 days...
Did you ever have any luck getting this replaced / getting a new one? I'm still eyeing this board - would love to grab one.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
Yes I did, SM support told me to uninstall HWMonitor from my server and ever since then, after resetting the BMC, it's been fine.

J Hart

Apr 23, 2015
I am 90% sure I have a spare X8DTH-iF in an SC836 case. No processors or memory. I'll give it a look when I get home just to be sure. If you are still looking shoot me a message.