WTB: Server Storage Chassis (many 2.5" hot swap bays)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bradford

May 27, 2016
I'm looking for a rack-mount upgrade for my lil storage server - I'm maxed out on my current 8x 2.5" hot swap bays.

I'm looking at the CSE-216 (which I can get for at most $220 shipped on eBay with rails), but I'm wondering if any of you have one or something similar you're looking to get rid of. I'm not committed to that chassis, it's just the cheapest I could find that had loads o' hot swap bays and two PSUs.

Thanks!

Bradford

May 27, 2016
here's another option, might be cheaper if shipping isn't too high for you:

SuperMicro 2U CSE-216 RAID ARRAY SATA 2 Server Case Chassis 24x 2.5" Trays 2X PS | eBay
Thanks! I saw those - the first is $100 shipping and no rails, and the second doesn't list or picture rails, but I did message him. Better deal if he does, but I'm a little doubtful. Edit: no rails included

FYI before you buy the eBay special: natex has a 4u whth motherboard too for $200 + shipping.

Dual Intel Xeon E5-2600 v1 Series CPU Support, 16 DDR3 DIMM, 24bay, 4u, Bare Storage Server
I am planning on continuing to use my C2578 board for this duty, so I don't need a motherboard. I'm locked in current with 2.5" - but if the caddy has mount-points for a 2.5" drive, that is actually better for me since I can mix in 3.5" drives as well.. You've given me something to think about! Thank you. Edit: Oof, caddies sold separately for $11 ea

Last edited:

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
I own this server and it is awesome. I would suggest if you can find it to get one with 2 additional 2.5" drives in back so you can make those your boot volumes if anything. It's not mandatory but they are nice to have.

You can find dirt cheap caddy's on here or on reddit's /homelabsale pages

Last edited:
Reactions: Bradford

Bradford

May 27, 2016
Maybe now is the time to separate my storage from my server with something like a storage server - iscsi for example. With something like that could I give raw disk images to machines on the network so I don't have ot rebuild my ZFS pools?

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
Maybe now is the time to separate my storage from my server with something like a storage server - iscsi for example. With something like that could I give raw disk images to machines on the network so I don't have ot rebuild my ZFS pools?

I went with Server Mobo+Storage and did NFS and ISCSI mounts. I found a damn good deal on dual 6 core xeons with this chassis and bought it.

Do bare in mind these servers are hurricanes and if you want to keep your sanity and eardrums start looking at fan replacements modifications.

Bradford

May 27, 2016
I went with Server Mobo+Storage and did NFS and ISCSI mounts. I found a damn good deal on dual 6 core xeons with this chassis and bought it.

Do bare in mind these servers are hurricanes and if you want to keep your sanity and eardrums start looking at fan replacements modifications.
The only reason I'm considering this chassis is I got a c7000 blade chassis and if I can make that quiet somehow this will be a cinch.