EU WTB server board for esxi host for homelab on the budget

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mophk

Dec 28, 2020
Hey guys,
Im looking for a board similar to a X10DRi from supermicro. I am also considering single cpu boards.
I would like to buy a board that has 8 slots for ram per cpu and it uses ddr4.

If you would have a whole server without ram, cpu's, psu' (atx psu compatible)(or the psu/cooling overall is quiet) Please let me know also preferably something bigger than 2u. I would like to store a bunch of 3.5" drives hence the X10DRi being the model of choice.

I do not have any budget in mind but I cannot spend more than 450 euro overall. for the board Id assume the price will be lower - about half? but let me know.

Reactions: Samir

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I probably have a lot of what you need, but I am afraid the budget might not be sufficient or at least quite close.

I guess you'll pay ~300+ for the board, the chassis at least 200 (u'll need 3u+ anyway for ATX PSU)... How many drive slots are you looking for?
Shipping might also be ~€50 depending on your & sellers location, rails maybe on top

Good luck

mophk

Dec 28, 2020
I can get the board from ebay for about 250 eur shipped with 2 cpu coolers and i/o shield so a bit less than you think luckily.

as for the chasis sure 3u or 4u would be ideal for me imho. for now I would be happy with 8 drives

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Ah u r looking for an x10dri, i somehow thought a scalable board similar to that, so basically x11dpi, sorry.

8 drives might fit in a 745, else a storage case like (modded) 836/846...

And u going for 512g memory or why 8 slots per cou?

mophk

Dec 28, 2020
I bought super cheap ecc ddr4 modules some time ago, for about 12eur/each. The plan is to use my current 8x8gb modules + 1 cpu. next I would buy another cpu + ram just to fill the board fully. I think 128gb of ram and 2x low power cpu would be ideal to me. DDR4 is still "current" tech so if I decide to upgrade to bigger modules, i can do it easily and recover some money from the current ones

I have a tight budget and I dont have very much services running.

mophk

Dec 28, 2020
I saw his listing, but getting that without 2nd cpu, would cut my ram by half, other than that, it would be great deal for me.

Currently the price for 8gb ecc modules in my country seems to be about 19 euro each, so i can recover more than I paid it seems, but the upgrade to 16gb sticks would be expensive i think, if i would want future proof the purchase by getting 8sticks of ram

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
If I were you I'd try to sell those 8G modules asap (while you still get something for them) and get some from this guy here snowblinderp auf eBay - he accepts offers too.

I bought some modules from him, have not tested them yet but he delivered quickly. Not affiliated ;)

mophk

Dec 28, 2020
Ill pass, I can get 32gb sticks in poland for less and even if i'd pull the trigger on them i'd get 8 of them, which would right now take all my budget.