WTB: RAM, Heatsinks, E5-26xx CPU's

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Hey guys, in a moment of complete madness, I bought a SM X9DRD-7LN4F board yeah!
Then the reality of what I done began to sink in. So here I am with my begging bowl :D

I'm looking for 128GB of RAM (16x8GB, 2R4, 10600R, ECC), a couple of CPU's (E5-2665/2670) and a couple of SM heatsinks, probably the 48's (Narrow ILM Passive) as I'm likely going to be using my 2U Chenbro chassis initially, while I look for a decent 3U.

In terms of money, I'm really hoping to find RAM at $15 per, CPU's at around $70per. I don't know off hand what heatsinks are changing hands for. Obviously if I can find any of this cheaper that would be even better. Shipping would be to Canada.

I'm not in any particular hurry for this stuff as this is a longer term project for me. In fact, I'm not even sure what I'll do with the compute power, as I don't have a real use case for it at the moment. I'm open to suggestions on the heatsinks, links to deals on parts etc. I'm actually mulling over water cooling the CPU's and doing a custom build, complete overkill, mad but fun I suspect, and I do like having fun, at least it should keep the noise down :)

Edit 4/4/2017: I no longer need RAM, managed to snag a reasonable deal on the 'bay for some Micron/ HP branded with heat spreaders :)

Last edited:
Reactions: wsuff

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Bumpity bump

I am still looking for CPU's and heatsinks folks. I would consider taking them individually, so if anyone is parting out or even has a couple of spares they would consider parting with, let me know :)

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Bumpity bump

I think I'm sorted now regards the CPU's thanks to a certain generous member, so only now needing a couple of heatsinks. So if anyone has a couple gathering dust that they want to part with or has some suggestions on suitable alternatives to the SM 48 ILM ones let me know :)

jpk

Nov 6, 2015
I have 1 narrow 2U passive - it's a P0048PS and brand new in box except I cleaned the thermal compound off and went to attach it and realized "crap".

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I have been scouring the various offerings from Intel, SM, Dynatron etc and I don't really like the look any of them. I was thinking to get me going I would use the SM narrow ILM 48ps ones and fashion up some clips to hold a couple of quiet 60mm fans on them. I'm also considering moving up to a 3U or 4U chassis just to give me some more options further up the line :)

@jpk how much you want for it?

jpk

Nov 6, 2015
Probably somewhere near the going rate with shipping? Want to send me address to calculate shipping?