[WTB] Radeon 7 Pro / Titan V / A5000

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
Hello,
Anyone out there willing to sell any of the following GPU's for normal pricing (not scalped out ones)?
(Noting 24G 3090's can be bought for 700-900 usd)
(Located in USA)

Radeon 7 Pro (bought for 350)
MI50-60
Titan V 12G-16G

A5000

Its not for crypto, at worst they'll be used for boinc.
At best for mix of compute, ml, and gaming.

Regards

Last edited:

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
I don't know what the MSRP was, but Amazon is selling it for $1800. Based on a recent purchase of A4000 boards, I don't think that is a "scalping" price, it's just a bit high due to demand.

Note that a RTX 3090 is a often a 3-4 slot card, while the A5000 is a 2-slot. That, along with other features, gives it a higher MSRP. Plus, the 3090 is now "old" tech, so can be had a a discount.

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Radeon VIIs are garbage and extremely unreliable. I'd stay away from anything HBM2.

Best off getting a A5000, Titan Vs also have HBM.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
I don't know what the MSRP was, but Amazon is selling it for $1800. Based on a recent purchase of A4000 boards, I don't think that is a "scalping" price, it's just a bit high due to demand.

Note that a RTX 3090 is a often a 3-4 slot card, while the A5000 is a 2-slot. That, along with other features, gives it a higher MSRP. Plus, the 3090 is now "old" tech, so can be had a a discount.
Used A4000's can go for 400-500 usd on ebay (actually already own one)
Used A5000's typically go for 800-1k on ebay.

Radeon VIIs are garbage and extremely unreliable. I'd stay away from anything HBM2.

Oh I know what they are, and people make them out worse than they actually are. The pro version is also the highest fp64 card on the market thats attainable. (only mi100 go above it.), in itself its great once you expose the 16GB HBM2 as 'opencl' disk device - and use it for caching. You can easily get 600GB/s after overhead)

In terms of Titan V, i'm interested in its looks, as well as fp64 and its actual performance in vgpu env. There's also few other interesting things i'd like to try on those...

(i had non-pro radeon vii before - sadly died with my psu, and i can say its one of the best cards for mixed, compute gaming and movie/anime watching - there are also ways to enable fluid motion tech on games - roundabout way but it works. ~ 40fps in cyberpunk actually feels like 60+)

here's the image i still have saved - while testing that - you can see intrapolation artefacting.
1668541507869.png

Last edited:
Reactions: bluestang

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014

i've never heard of any issues with HBM, aren't there tons of HBM2 based cards deployed in datacenters?

fp64

Jun 29, 2019

i bought 3 radeon vii (not pro) from new and two failed after 15 months of use with average load between 40 and 50% (fp64 use only). Garbage indeed, but i cannot say a thing about the cause of failures. i bought six teslas p100 from here (sam from korea) and are about twice as slow (fp64) as the r-vii even though the p100 has nominally higher peak tflops (due to smaller shared mem per warp/front and buffer bw.) R-vii has stunningly good perf for the $$ especially dgemm and fft.

is there any chance that the r-vii can be repaired?

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
i bought 3 radeon vii (not pro) from new and two failed after 15 months of use with average load between 40 and 50% (fp64 use only). Garbage indeed, but i cannot say a thing about the cause of failures. i bought six teslas p100 from here (sam from korea) and are about twice as slow (fp64) as the r-vii even though the p100 has nominally higher peak tflops (due to smaller shared mem per warp/front and buffer bw.) R-vii has stunningly good perf for the $$ especially dgemm and fft.

Radeon VIIs can't be fixed if the core or interposer fails.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022

Potentially cooling, most consumer rad7 suffered from not even (or lack) die pressure resulting in killer TjMax. (Mine died after psu killed everything in the system due to short after 3 years in 24x7 home server)

You can get working consumer version from ebay for like 250-300 usd. Potentially pointless to repair unless you are doing it yourself.
If heatsinks are applied correctly those hbm2 cards (doesn't matter if consumer, pro, or datacenter) they will last pretty much forever.

Last edited:

Zedicus

Jul 12, 2018
ive had 2 Radeon VII cards mining eth since the day they rolled off the show room. i washer modded them shortly after i got them. and i have put new fans in them both. but the cards themselves are rockstars.

Andrew_Carr

Mar 18, 2022
I have a bunch of MI25s for cheap if you are ok with that. Downside with cards like these vs the workstation cards like the A5000 is they don't have fans and most cooling options are pretty loud for desktop/office use.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
i have my own homelab (rack and everything) so noise isn't a problem; But I'm not interested in mi25's as they are vega64's with additional vram (still gimped memory controller as all vega10 cards had + weak fp64 performance 1:16 ratio).

/mi25 are pretty much e-waste at this point. (and they don't have the most pretty pcb to warrant collection)

Last edited:

awd247

Feb 11, 2023
If you are still in the market I have a Radeon VII for sale that was only used for gaming and is water cooled with full water block AIO that i have been running for 2 year no issues. Let me know if interested or have anymore questions about setup.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
do you mean you can use it as conventional block device on linux
You could you use it - but when you put the data in from outside it would be quite slow.
Only way to achieve proper speeds when reading/writing on memory itself with CU's instead of going back to CPU to do so.
(still correct approach costs like 20-30% of r/w perf overhead.)

My implementation (is for windows)
c++ aided by opencl object
is to take image of a disk like a texture file,
create a 128M chunk package (I can fit 2 packages per CU leaving around 1020M of lost / free total memory)
create pool of 60 threads and map each thread to each CU by opencl
then i leave most of work for opencl itself in background
while I create a ram disk that is working like raid0 between 60 small partitions with 256M. The internal operations handled by opencl like processing indices, a database operations and so on can be done at blazing 500-750GB/s (on rad7pro), if you try to load with CPU i.e. a game or something like mssql you are going to be running at best 35-50GB/s as each time you go to CPU you are slowed down to hell;

(I haven't shared the code on the git or anywhere - but maybe if i ever make it more user-friendly i would potentially sell it.)

There are ramdisk implementation as well as linux vramfs implementations available on git that you can test - but as mentioned i doubt you'll be getting more than 15-35GB/s on 1TB/s GPU. It just isn't that better than typical ram disk at this point on their implementation due to overhead from cpu - still its great (ramdisk or vramdisk) for operations that do lot of reads and writes daily - and you look to save money on ssd's. If you do indexing or have a lot of junk data being created daily its preferably to get more ram instead of enterprise sas ssd's and just dump that once a day onto storage as backup.

(git projects may/ or may not work - i helped myself start by looking at some of the code on git)

Reactions: tinfoil3d

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Man, seeing this thread really makes me want to pick up a Radeon VII, but the prices they want for them these days are still ridiculous.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
something i've noticed while ago that rad7 or any card that states it has bandwidth of whatever doesn't reflect reality of what it actually is.

7900xtx seem to have much faster transfers r/w and in/out vs radeon vii pro (and i use pro here, as its pcie 4.0 enabled) while running rocm and doing same kind of memory operations only. 7900xtx is like 45% faster in all cases r/w, in-out takes. (and it doesn't suffer from that high latency as rad7 does)

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
Not at this time - but potentially maybe somewhere by June-Sept i may want it.

FlorianZ

Dec 10, 2019
mi25 are pretty much e-waste at this point
It obviously doesn't check the boxes for your use-case, but I wouldn't say they are e-waste: You can flash the WX 9100 vbios to enable the display out connector, and apply the Founders Edition pptable to get a cheap gaming GPU. Pretty good deal for what... 80-90 freedom bucks.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
you can score 5700 for 150 usd thats faster in games, and easier to cool in desktop system. (with mi25 you'll likely either buy a blower fan attachment or just 2 x 120mm fans and place them on fin stack = extra 25-40 usd just there.)