WTB: PowerEdge VRTX Parts

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WScott66

Nov 11, 2013
Hello all,

I am looking for the below list of parts for my VRTX Chassis. If you have any please PM me with what you are asking for these parts.

• Tower Back Cover (Cover opposite of standard opening cover. Was not included in eBay sale and I am looking to make the Tower Chassis whole. Anyone that had converted their Tower to a Rack mount would likely have these parts "If they didn't throw them away, OUCH!")
  • Caster Kit (Looking to make it roll!)
  • 10GbE Switch (Have all Quad Port Network Daughter Cards in my blades and only the 1GbE Switch is choking my performance.)
  • Any other parts you have that I may be interested in.
Thank you,
Bill S

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Did you get your VRTX from a seller in Austin?

GL finding the switch, there is only one for sale I've seen on the internet for USD 800+ from the UK. I was going to get a VRTX but decided I didn't want to deal with the networking bottleneck (though technically there's no reason you can't use pcie 10gb cards and hook up to an external switch but it would definitely be nice to have it all in the same box).

WScott66

Nov 11, 2013
BTW, anyone looking for a VRTX Chassis I would recommend the below:

Dell PowerEdge VRTX Chassis 4x 1600 watt Power supplies | eBay

I picked up the chassis from them for $1100 which is 150 under the asking (Before shipping, Its big and bulky so expect freight to be around 200 depending on your proximity to Texas.). The person I worked with went by RJ and was very helpful throughout the process. With the issues I had he worked with me till resolved.

Anyone looking for PowerEdge M620 blades I got them configured with 2x E5-2660's, 32GB RAM (2x16GB RDIMM/8500R), 2x PCIe Mezz Adapters and 2x 256GB SSD (Including the SAS Backplane and H310 Controller.) for $625.00 (A Steal!).

PM me for my contact if interested!

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I was thinking about ordering from them but honestly they were getting on my nerves (RJ very unresponsive, had to follow up a lot, randomly going out of town and not getting back). Did your chassis include the top and bottom pieces with feet? They offered the chassis to me for 750 + shipping, freight was around 130 I think. Honestly this thing could be shipped UPS, it weighs roughly the same as a Supermicro 745 tower chassis.

WScott66

Nov 11, 2013
Did you get your VRTX from a seller in Austin?

GL finding the switch, there is only one for sale I've seen on the internet for USD 800+ from the UK. I was going to get a VRTX but decided I didn't want to deal with the networking bottleneck (though technically there's no reason you can't use pcie 10gb cards and hook up to an external switch but it would definitely be nice to have it all in the same box).

$800! Shoot I have not found one for under $1200.
I had a C6100 (Sold 3 weeks ago on eBay.) prior with a separate Juniper EX3300 (Still Have) connecting all 4 nodes at 10GbE and a Infortrend S12E iSCSI Array with dual 4-port controllers (Still Have) and this equipment howled! I will soon be selling the Switch and Array as I no longer need them with the VRTX as it has everything in one box. The one thing that is a little disappointment will be the L3 support in the VRTX switch, but this thing is SOO nice and quiet!

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
You should do a VRTX write up, if you ever get the entire thing filled, demonstrating the tech a bit and some clustering. There's some stuff out there obviously but I think the VRTX could use some exposure / info on STH. Though I admit that the VRTX hasn't really hit the second hand market quite the same as some of the other machines have (C6100, HP s6500, etc).

Dev_Mgr

Sep 20, 2014
Texas
I frequently deal with Dell's VRTX and am fairly familiar with it. I don't know about a source for that back cover, but if anyone has any technical questions, I may have answers.

TechNar

Jun 1, 2017
I have like 4 VRTX in stock if interested let me know, I wouldn't be able to part them out cause then finding those parts would be a pain.

WScott66

Nov 11, 2013
I worked for Dell up until we were acquired by NTT Data...
We are now the poor step-child and to order parts we are being quoted above MSRP (A Big Joke!), so I am looking elsewhere.
The VRTX I have is for my personal (Home LAB) used to maintain my certification and Pilot out architectures before implementing for customers.

WScott66

Nov 11, 2013
The one I purchased had Dual CMC's, Dual PERC 8's, 4x 1100w P/S.
Even with the missing panel, I can not complain as it was a bargain at 1100.00.

WScott66

Nov 11, 2013
Is the m1000e switch compatible with the vrtx chassis?

It is not, Only the Blade Servers are compatible and to use the M1000e Blades you have to pull any Mezz cards out and put in 2 PCIe Mezz Adapters. It will not work with only one!

WScott66

Nov 11, 2013
When you say barebone, do you have 1-2 CMC's, PERC 8's? included?
What is the asking price?
Depending on your response I may be able to sell them for you to fellow employees looking to upgrade their home LAB's...

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I might also be interested but the 12 x 3.5 is a hard sell I would think the 25 bay is far more practical.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
My understanding is that the M620 blades work without PCIe mezzanine cards but simply throw an error in the CMC. The only thing you couldn't do with them is utilize the shared storage or PCIe expansion slots I think.

WScott66

Nov 11, 2013
Uh, why do you need a VRTX if not to leverage the converged infrastructure?
The Mezz slots are of no use for anything but the PCIe adapters.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I'm just saying lol the nodes could be functional til you get pcie mezz cards installed. My point is there's nothing special about the nodes it's just that the cmc is programmed to identify the absence of them and states incompatible node which isn't entirely true.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

WScott66

Nov 11, 2013
They are barebones sitting in the warehouse I can custom configure but they are not the 25 x 2.5 bays they are the 12 x 3.5 bays

TechNar,

What are you asking for the VRTX Chassis?
What do you have to customize them with?
Any 10GbE Switch I/O modules?