WTB - old IBM Keyboards; Model F (XT/AT) or Model M (PS2)

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
Good day all, I'm in the US (midwest) and on the hunt for a serviceable IBM keyboard... The 'clicky' kind. I'm open to any of the Model F's (from the XT and AT era) and Model M's (from the PS/2 era). I'm not particular on the cable interface, so I can work with any type.

If you have one that you'd like to send to a good home, please let me know and we'll discuss price (based on condition, etc)!

Regards,
Jake

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Please get a beige or industrial gray color, then put it next to a huge OLED screen. Instant meme material.

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
@mumford Thanks! Yeah, I had been aware of Ellipse's 'new f keyboard' project for a few weeks and was initially stupified by the ~$380 price... However the idea had started to warm on me. To the point I went and filled out his order form but was ultimately undecided on what model I most desired... I'll most likely hold off until I see what his ultra compact cases end up as (vs just his renderings).

I'd still absolutely love to find an old derelict PC/XT/AT model F to play around with converting it to ANSI layout with USB.

mumford

Jun 25, 2016
I think one advantage of Ellipse's new F keyboard is that you can order it with the HHKB layout (the old Unix layout used by Sun Microsystems). I ordered a black F77, as I do like the num pad and arrow keys. Furthermore, I ordered some spare flippers and small parts. I am pretty sure that this keyboard will last a while, maybe till when we Earthlings do typing by plugging spinal cords directly to the computer, Matrix style.