EU WTB Mellanox SX6012 or SX6018

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mmx01

Jan 17, 2020
Hi, looking to buy one of these in EU for a reasonable price.

Will consider EMC version for conversion or one already converted (also SX10XX family as long as they run EN)

Since I am looking to run it 24/7 and power consumption is a big factor in Europe, I have ruled out 36 port versions.

Regards,
M

mmx01

Jan 17, 2020
bump, really nothing in EU? I see a deal in US for a new SX6012 but import cost is a concern

kedzior

Mar 21, 2018
Poland
As I remember there is no big difference with Idle between SX6012 and SX6036 regarding power consumption.

mmx01

Jan 17, 2020
Agree with big is relative, delta of 20W 24/7/365 for the ports I don't need is making the difference. As an example quite capable DELL 3020 with i5 and 16GB of RAM with vsan witness and vcenter witness is drawing 25W which would mean I don't have to look at RPI for that function for the same electricity bill or could add another toy into the mix. Already paying 100 EUR / mnth.

Regarding the number, if that helps I am thinking about 150-200 EUR (incl. shipping) but that's relative to age/condition of the unit hence did not put that out in the first place. Comparing to US where these go for about 100 EUR, +EU penalty at least to me seems fair but cannot speak for a seller ;)

If only this one had 4 ports instead of 2... crs326_24s_2q_rm but that's off topic here.

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Unfortunatly the '12s were never as common in EU as the '36's, there is always an option to get these relatively cheap.
US currently is €100 + 70 shipping + tax + EMC conversion efforts (more or less simple, just time).

So if your willing to spend 200 you almost can get one from the US if you're fine with doing the conversion yourself.

mmx01

Jan 17, 2020
The only benefit in EU is return if DOA or if not according to the description. Return to US looking at shipping charges would be hardly worth it. With that said I have rather positive experience having bought few things off US ebay. Would anyone have any experience with the seller - microint ?

I did play with cross-flashing in the past of SAS controllers and also MX network cards so not that much afraid. One thing I did not understand in EMS->MLNX-OS conversion is license activation but also remark about port speed setting not being permanent. Each time I disconnect network cable or power down the host I would need to login to the switch and set port speed again?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
The only benefit in EU is return if DOA or if not according to the description. Return to US looking at shipping charges would be hardly worth it. With that said I have rather positive experience having bought few things off US ebay. Would anyone have any experience with the seller - microint ?
I got mine from microint a whle back (as surly many others too).
Can't complain except that they were not willing to lower prices (trying to offset shipping costs).

I did play with cross-flashing in the past of SAS controllers and also MX network cards so not that much afraid. One thing I did not understand in EMS->MLNX-OS conversion is license activation but also remark about port speed setting not being permanent. Each time I disconnect network cable or power down the host I would need to login to the switch and set port speed again?
The latest files should have permanent port speeds, and in addition to the original conversion guide there is alos a post conversion update option.
Not sure if that has been incorporated in a newer guide version, mine is still at the old conversion level, never looked into upgrading that one.

mmx01

Jan 17, 2020
Thanks!
Get yourself a hamster, let him run in his wheel and make himself useful :rolleyes: ;)
My daughter is getting through (with?) a 4th one... I don't want to handicap his chances just because of my hobby :mad:

The latest files should have permanent port speeds, and in addition to the original conversion guide there is alos a post conversion update option.
Not sure if that has been incorporated in a newer guide version, mine is still at the old conversion level, never looked into upgrading that one.
Well, as much as unreasonable this seems to have a unit shipped from US just to attempt cross-flashing with a high chance of bricking it, I am about to bite the bullet :cool:

"post conversion update" means going to 8012 and after it would not need manual port speed setting anymore?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I wouldnt say there is a high chance of bricking it, its fairly simple.
Nowadays you got all the files ready made, no extracting any more, so not a big deal.
Port setting was fixed by an updated fileset, not sure whether thats included in the update as I never looked into that

mmx01

Jan 17, 2020
Bought it off US ebay with some DAC cables from China... I will move from this topic to the EMC one. Thanks for all inputs.