WTB: Managed Gigabit Network Switch 16p+ --- CAN

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rain

May 13, 2013
Are the only necessities VLANs and a WebUI? Netgear's "Smart Switches" don't have some of the high-end features found on "real" managed switches, but they definitely have good VLAN support and an adequate WebUI! You might be able to track down a used GS716T or GS724T for ~$100, I'd bet. I have a GS716T and a GS724T; both have been fantastic 1GbE switches!

undemanding

Feb 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
That seems perfect, does anyone have any experience with these planet switches? I've actually never heard of the brand.

Are the only necessities VLANs and a WebUI? Netgear's "Smart Switches" don't have some of the high-end features found on "real" managed switches, but they definitely have good VLAN support and an adequate WebUI! You might be able to track down a used GS716T or GS724T for ~$100, I'd bet. I have a GS716T and a GS724T; both have been fantastic 1GbE switches!
Thats exactly what I was referencing in my last post, minus me saying it was trendnet. ;)
I think I may as well just save up for that, plus I will also have warranty and some sort of reassurance that it will be a proper product for my needs.

spyrule

I've read up on the Planet GSW switch, and it seems alright. It seems like it supports most of the stuff you'd require to get going for a home lab (one of the key elements until you can afford to go 10G connections, it LACP. Many "cheap" switches don't support dynamic LACP, which doesn't work for many OS's out there (many don't support Static Link Aggregation). LAG isn't the end-all-be-all, but it will help with multiple connections if your doing a home lab for studies (vmware that sort of thing).

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
This was going to be my suggestion. I have numerous Netgear Prosafes in use and for the $ they are great.

I did just get a 24 port Zyxel to try out because the USG-50 router I have is awesome, love the WebGUI.

Todd

undemanding

Feb 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Looks as if I will follow through on that eBay bid, if I fail to win the auction I'll probably save up for a Netgear Smart switch.

Also, if anyone else is selling switches let me know. :)

Reactions: T_Minus

_Adrian_

Jun 25, 2012
Leduc, AB
I have a Quanta LB4 that im thinking about unloading...
48 port Gigabit, 3x 10Gigabit CX4 ports on the back ( one was damaged and is not operational ) CLI, Web UI, VLAN and lots more.
Willing to part with it for $80 + shipping
Could greyhound it no problem and I'm even in Alberta ( Leduc to be exact )
Upgrading to 2x Quanta LB4M as my new servers are SFP+ and QSFP Guaranteed not DOA

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
I've been searching eBay, kijiji and reddit looking for a switch within my budget and cannot find anything that tickles my fancy.

I need a 16 port+ gigabit switch for my home capable of handling VLANS and has a web UI / manageable CLI.

My budget is under $80 USD / $100 CAD shipped.
Also, I am located in Canada, therefore likely the states will have an added import charge.

Thanks for looking.
If you can stretch your budget considerably to $200 - and there are good reasons to do so - then you might look at an HP 1810-24G V2. It's a very nice rack-mount switch with a few special features: it's fanless, has a lifetime warranty, and draws just 22 watts with all ports running and way less than that with fewer ports active - something like 7 watts with eight ports running.

undemanding

Feb 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I have a Quanta LB4 that im thinking about unloading...
48 port Gigabit, 3x 10Gigabit CX4 ports on the back ( one was damaged and is not operational ) CLI, Web UI, VLAN and lots more.
Willing to part with it for $80 + shipping
Could greyhound it no problem and I'm even in Alberta ( Leduc to be exact )
Upgrading to 2x Quanta LB4M as my new servers are SFP+ and QSFP Guaranteed not DOA
That is a fantastic deal most definitely -- very intriguing..
Although, I read that the LB4M fans at idle typically sit around 60.5db and has about 60w of power consumption.
I couldn't find anything on the LB4, but can only assume it is a bit quieter and has less power draw due to only having one power supply. Could you potentially inform me on how loud the box is and how much power it draws?

I ask this now because I am heading off to university next year and I can't bank on the fact that my landlord includes utilities, and that I can fall asleep to a jet airplane taking off. I already have a dell cs24-sc that I may have to sack because of it's sound and power consumption.

If you can stretch your budget considerably to $200 - and there are good reasons to do so - then you might look at an HP 1810-24G V2. It's a very nice rack-mount switch with a few special features: it's fanless, has a lifetime warranty, and draws just 22 watts with all ports running and way less than that with fewer ports active - something like 7 watts with eight ports running.
The draw is seemingly worth the cost itself. As it'll cost me 60 dollars a year with a 60w idle power supply.. That would almost save my entire investment other than an older switch.

This purchase has apparently became increasingly more difficult.
Time to make a list of switches to keep an out for.

spyrule

If your getting a second/3rd hand switch, and you don't plan on putting it in a rack or keeping it forever, there is the option to pop the top panel off, examine the power consumption the existing fans on whatever switch you get, and then find a 120/140mm fan that has equal or less power consumption. Then cut a 120mm hole in the top as close to the primary processors are, and then blow cold air directly onto it, allowing the air to flow out through the usual side vents.

I've done this on two separate switches so far (one of them is literally 1ft from my head in my office) and I can barely hear it, and it gets ample cooling (actually gets more airflow then with the stock fans).

Just an option if your ok with hacking the lid/top of a switch.

Be aware though, some switches, this doesn't work as they are made with two/layered pcb's with interconnects, and rely on the cross flow to cool in between the PCB boards.

undemanding

Feb 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
If your getting a second/3rd hand switch, and you don't plan on putting it in a rack or keeping it forever, there is the option to pop the top panel off, examine the power consumption the existing fans on whatever switch you get, and then find a 120/140mm fan that has equal or less power consumption. Then cut a 120mm hole in the top as close to the primary processors are, and then blow cold air directly onto it, allowing the air to flow out through the usual side vents.

I've done this on two separate switches so far (one of them is literally 1ft from my head in my office) and I can barely hear it, and it gets ample cooling (actually gets more airflow then with the stock fans).

Just an option if your ok with hacking the lid/top of a switch.

Be aware though, some switches, this doesn't work as they are made with two/layered pcb's with interconnects, and rely on the cross flow to cool in between the PCB boards.
If worst comes to worst I will likely end up doing this. Pretty good information to have if you dislike living with an airplane.
I was thinking of doing something like this to my cs24-sc, but I read that some Dell servers don't start up if you tinker with their fans. Have you come across with this limitation with switches too?

spyrule

No, and it's unlikely, as most switches don't have active thermal management (except for the very high-end/high pps switches, like the LB4M for example)

This trick is finding a bigger fan that has equal or less power consumption (the voltage is important, but the amperage is what is most critical).

_Adrian_

Jun 25, 2012
Leduc, AB
There's a massive thread on here about these switches...
i dont keep much track as i also run a few servers and the power consumption of a single switch has become my last concern when compared to a blade server with 6x 2800w power supplies.

undemanding

Feb 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Well, it looks like I was working when the eBay offer on that Planet switch happened, so I still need a switch. I was PM'd by 2 people offering switches for 100 bucks but they haven't responded. I would really like to get one this month. If anyone has an offer with a quiet and cheap switch, it would be appreciated.
Thanks!