[WTB] Looking for Asus z10pe-d8 ws, Z10PE-D16 WS or Z10PE-D16 motherboard

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Serverking

The quieter you are, the more you can hear...
Jan 6, 2019
Looking for a Asus z10pe-d8 ws, Z10PE-D16 WS or Z10PE-D16 motherboard.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Does it need to be pristine?;)
I got a D8 WS with a single broken memory slot that I am not using any more. Depending on your memory requirements this might be an issue o/c (since it only got mem 8 slots) or maybe not.
It also got a modded bios at this point (allowing bifurcation on one of the x8 slots) if you care.
I am sure we can find an agreeable price inc shipping from EU if you dont mind the memory slot;)

Serverking

Jan 6, 2019
I got a D8 WS with a single broken memory slot that I am not using any more. Depending on your memory requirements this might be an issue o/c (since it only got mem 8 slots) or maybe not.
I have the same problem with my board, only 3 slots work, which gives me only 96gb to play with. Crazy how those boards are selling for $800 USD on Ebay.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Interesting - would have thought that to be a quite specific error, but apparently not.
Why not simply add a second cpu? Prolly cheaper than a new board...

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
I got 2x Z10PE-D16 WS, with CPUs, memory and etc.
Both are in servers (so case/psu/CPU coolers/fans). One server was used, another one still brand new

I'm in US/Chicago.

Serverking

Jan 6, 2019

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
What is the problem with the memory slots? Have they physically broken? Could it be that the CPU and/or socket pins are a bit dirty/oxidized? If you are daring you could remove both CPUs and have a fine bristle brush and brush together with some isopropyl alcohol. Be reeeeeeeeeeally careful with the socket pins. You dont want to tug them off. =)

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
Btw, I also have a Z10PE-D16 WS but that one has broken power for CPU0 or something like that. So its also useless. Until proven otherwise i stay away from Asus server stuff :)

Serverking

Jan 6, 2019
What is the problem with the memory slots? Have they physically broken?
No the slots are fine, nothing on them.

Could it be that the CPU and/or socket pins are a bit dirty/oxidized? I
The board was perfectly new, it sat in my basement for about 2 years. I was busy with covid at the time. I opened it up few weeks ago put in 2630 v3 to update the BMC and Bios but even before the updates it would only work with 2 slots. Put in 2603, 2680s, 2697a and still nothing. I took the CPUs out saw there was a bent pin on socket 1 on the left side. After fixing that one pin, the board booted up now 3 slots were working. Updated the BIOS and BMC but still only those 3 slots would work. I took a 2nd look at the same socket this time with a 10x magnifying glass, noticed one pin was under another pin so proceeded to fix that. Booted up the board few more times and still only 3 slots would work. Now I was having a 3rd look at the socket after 1 hour playing with the bins 1 pin came off. Here we are now.

So to recap, both sockets recognize 2x 2680v4 but only with 96GB by way of using 3x 32GB sticks.

Post some pics if you do open up and look =)
I will have some pics later tonight for you.

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
Alright. So the pin that is broken is a pin for a memory. DDR3_DQS_DP[5] E7. That would of course put that channel out of use. Cant remember exactly, but DQS should be a strobe signal and could be connected to more than one memory. Essentially making CH3 useless. (starting from 0. So channel D on that CPU.)
I cant really see any obvious faults apart from the missing pin. Could be that there are other detents that press more than one pin down without showing it. But since this is a pretty old board I would at the least spray isopropanol down in both sockets. Using a spray bottle is totally harmless and can only improve the situation. Also with a clean lint free cloth on the cpu with isopropanol. Make sure not to stick to the caps in the middle.
I worked in manufacturing of boards with this socket before and we had big problems with solderability on it. Its a hard BGA to solder. Lots of flimsy plastic and not a whole lot to do if it doesn't solder well. Another thing that was a notorious problem was the DIMM sockets. We would sometimes have to reseat memories. And that was totally new out of the box ones. This board was probably produced 2016-ish and has had some time to build up oxides on connector pins etc. Even if its gold it can get dirty. Next thing if nothing works could be to install LR-RDIMMs perhaps.

Serverking

Jan 6, 2019
@sparx Is there a way to de-solder the whole socket and put a new one in its place? I tired to de-solder a board few years ago I couldn't get it melt even a little bit, even thou the soldering iron was red hot.

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
Well, not really. We had professional BGA soldering equipment. And even with that it was hit and miss. For normal people even with advanced soldering equipment its very low chance of success. Normal BGA is fine. The problem with the sockets is that they are all plastic and 2011 BGA bumps. The plastic warps in too high heat and starts to melt.