EU WTB: hgst ultrastar data60+ data102

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

laimis

Jan 26, 2021
interested in buying emtpy or populated hgst data60+ data102
or other 60+ jbod enclosure

Reactions: Samir

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Hi,

You should probably work a little on your wording - since it can be hard to understand whether or not you want to buy or want to sell.

This is done by adding a WTB:/WTS: in your title - also its a good habit to add a flavor, i.e. [EU]/[US].

Reactions: Samir and ari2asem

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
You probably know this but just in case these (well the data102 at least) only works with (certain) hgst/wd drives. Obviously works with the certified drive range and mine is working with my with a selection of older hgst and wd red drives but there are no guarantees.

Reactions: Samir and laimis

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Pretty sure a couple of months ago someone on this thread was potentially giving away a hgst 4u60 - they were moving house or something.

ArthurA

Sep 26, 2018
You probably know this but just in case these (well the data102 at least) only works with (certain) hgst/wd drives. Obviously works with the certified drive range and mine is working with my with a selection of older hgst and wd red drives but there are no guarantees.
I purchased a 102 that was FS on the forum recently, the drive compatibility has to do with physical constraints. The "sleds" aren't full length and don't attach using the side threaded holes. They snap over the end of the drive with studs that engage the rear most screw holes but there are also nubs on the bottom rear of the drive that can be occluded by the chassis of some other brand drives I tried test fitting. I haven't loaded mine up yet so I haven't explored shaving those bottom nubs but I believe they would still work if those bottom nubs were taken down. I'll try and remember to take some pictures when I get home.

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
I purchased a 102 that was FS on the forum recently, the drive compatibility has to do with physical constraints. The "sleds" aren't full length and don't attach using the side threaded holes. They snap over the end of the drive with studs that engage the rear most screw holes but there are also nubs on the bottom rear of the drive that can be occluded by the chassis of some other brand drives I tried test fitting. I haven't loaded mine up yet so I haven't explored shaving those bottom nubs but I believe they would still work if those bottom nubs were taken down. I'll try and remember to take some pictures when I get home.
Hi - I'd be very interested if you can confirm for example a seagate drive is working. I have two of these so I know what you are tallking about from a sled perspective. I was specifically told by the seller that these would only work with HGST / WD drives but I didnt in my wildest dreams think the certification control is would be physical!! I'm pretty sure I get a red light when I put a seagate drive in but I'll have another look at the weekend.

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
This should be easy to verify without any adjustments. Just put a drive in naked without any cage around it. I have a few HP M6720 that i run without any drive cages since the JBOD was delivered without and buying the sleds are more expensive than the unit itself.

ArthurA

Sep 26, 2018
Hi - I'd be very interested if you can confirm for example a seagate drive is working. I have two of these so I know what you are tallking about from a sled perspective. I was specifically told by the seller that these would only work with HGST / WD drives but I didnt in my wildest dreams think the certification control is would be physical!! I'm pretty sure I get a red light when I put a seagate drive in but I'll have another look at the weekend.
Alas the physical issue is the only one I can presently confirm. I'm working on migrating data off 4TB drives to clear enough to meet the stated 60 drive minimum requirement while I piece together the 120v->240v transformer situation. More critically I haven't bought any Seagate drives in nearly a decade, I'd have to excavate some boxes to even find the one or two 1.5TB Seagates that were still functional when I abruptly retired that array.

I should have qualified my previous statement, the compatibility issue I've seen so far...
If the 102 firmware doesn't allow anything but WD/HGST devices to function that only costs me a few <=4TB Toshiba drives.

PXL_20210923_015037255.jpgPXL_20210923_014940935.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ecosse

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Alas the physical issue is the only one I can presently confirm. I'm working on migrating data off 4TB drives to clear enough to meet the stated 60 drive minimum requirement while I piece together the 120v->240v transformer situation. More critically I haven't bought any Seagate drives in nearly a decade, I'd have to excavate some boxes to even find the one or two 1.5TB Seagates that were still functional when I abruptly retired that array.

I should have qualified my previous statement, the compatibility issue I've seen so far...
If the 102 firmware doesn't allow anything but WD/HGST devices to function that only costs me a few <=4TB Toshiba drives.
Ahh ok thank you for clarifying. I had forgotten about the physical notch until the pictures :) I'll be interested in your findings, I tested over a year ago but I have a number of toshiba drives so I thought I would have tested those... but perhaps I didn't!