WTB: HDD Enclosure with backplane capable of SAS2 or 3, Minimum 4 bays.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Shansen008

Jun 28, 2020
Hi all

I put together a small ITX Chenbro soho case that has a 9300-8i in it. The case has 4 hotswap sas/sata bays. Everything is working fine except for the HEAT! The case is just too small for a SAS3 HBA. These HBA's are designed for server cases with lots of loud airflow, not a jam packed mini itx solution. My plan is to move the SAS hba into my larger, cooler system. The issue is that the larger system only has a SATA backplane and my drives are HGST SAS3's. Id have to run a (i) to (e) SAS cable to the enclosure, but ive already found one that will work.

Anyone have a SAS backplane external enclosure for sale with sff 8644?

Mahalos.

Reactions: Samir

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
I have a supermicro cse826 case for sale with sas3 backplane. Also have the 8644 adapters for the two systems, low profile.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
The issue is that the larger system only has a SATA backplane and my drives are HGST SAS3's. Id have to run a (i) to (e) SAS cable to the enclosure, but ive already found one that will work.

Anyone have a SAS backplane external enclosure for sale with sff 8644?

Mahalos.
You may want to check the backplane specs on your large chassis. It may support SAS. You would just need 8644 - 4x sata break out cable.

Shansen008

Jun 28, 2020
Is it just the case and backplane?
You may want to check the backplane specs on your large chassis. It may support SAS. You would just need 8644 - 4x sata break out cable.
Yeah, i was thinking this as well, but i cant seem to find info from Lian Li about this. Its not a server case so would be quite fortuitous if that were the case. My Chenbro is a mini tower ITX and is meant as a small office server so having a SAS capable backplane made sense. My larger case is a Lian Li PC011 dynamic XL. It has 2 separate cages that will hold 2 HDD each. I have sff-8643 to 4x sata breakout cables. I guess im lazy, so i havent inspected the inside of the drive cage to see if the backplane physically supports sas on the drive side. If it were at the front of the case it would be easy, but its at the back and that case is a bitch to move around.

Shansen008

Jun 28, 2020
I have a supermicro cse826 case for sale with sas3 backplane. Also have the 8644 adapters for the two systems, low profile.
This being a server case, does it have screw standoffs that will support an ITX board? Id consider transferring my whole system into this case if the price was right. What do these go for?

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I have SAS/SATA Supermicro/Norco enclosure that will into 3 5.25" bay but you will need SAS breakout cable.