WTB: GPU rackmount server bones

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

YetAnotherMinion

Mar 22, 2016
Chicago
I am looking to build a Kaggle box using the 2 GRID M40s I got from Patrick. Ideally I am looking for something that is rack mountable, have LGA2011-R sockets and take DDR3 ECC because I have a lot of those right now. I also have several right angle riser cards as well, so I can orient the GPUs in either direction. If I can use my existing stock of CPUs, RAM, and SATA drives then I would be over the moon.

Two different paths I am considering:
1) straight rackmount GPU build. Just load it up with GPUs and access it remotely. Looking to spend under 1k for a barebones on this route. Something like the Tesla s1070 1U would work nicely if it had the PCIe power cables (6pin/8pin) because I would just put it in the colo and not worry about building for noise. If there are any other types of GPU optimized servers that support the modern PCIe 3 cards with extra power PCI power cables going used on Ebay, I would love to hear about them.

2) Combine GPU build with new desktop for myself. Need 4 full double wide GPU support, so I can have a graphics card for 4 monitors, and also have a slot for an Phi co-processor card. Sort of an all around programming fun land workhorse. Could be in tower case, but rackmount form factor would still be preferred. Probably tend towards 4U in order to put large fans for less noise. This build I would be willing to go the R3 route and get DDR4. Still needs to be server grade components. Much larger budget since it would do more things for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuntzu

Manav Agarwal

Mar 31, 2016
If you find a deal, let me know. I'm working on building a few similar machines both for ML and rendering. For GPUs in general, the 970/980 have offered a better value than the Tesla cards. You get double precision and virtualization ability with the Grid/Tesla cards.. for my specific use cases those aren't important.