WTB: External 4U JBOD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
I have my main FreeNAS box with the 846TQ backplane that I'd like to save for SSD's. Also should keep the heat down putting all of the spinning rust in a separate box. So I'm looking for a 24, 36, or 45 Bay JBOD box with SAS2 expanders. I want to populate the box with 8TB drives over time. I'd like to spend around 400 all in. I've found a 45 Bay for 700 with rails and a 9200 8e. So all else fails I'll get that...

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
That's the one Patrick. It's a pretty good deal, I just don't know that I need 45 bays. I guess you can never have too many. If I could get 24 bays for closer to 400 shipped...I'd be more inclined. How loud is that 45 bay chassis? I've replaced all the fans in my other 846's so far and they are tolerable now. The power supplies will likely get swapped out and sold off if I go that route.

So does that setup just plug straight into the 9200 8e with a cable for each expander (front and back)? I see that it has four ports on the back, but it doesn't need them for the setup I would like to do...I think.