WTB: Dell Precision Mobile Workstations and parts

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Title. looking to expand my collection of Precisions with some of the older models.

Willing to pay very well for anything in this list:
  • Precision M40
  • Precision M20
  • Precision M65
  • Precision M2400
  • Precision M4600 with a i7-2920XM/i7-2960XM and the Quadro 2000M GPU
  • Precision M6600 with a i7-2920XM/i7-2960XM and/or the Quadro 5010M GPU
  • Precision M6500 Quadro 5000M GPU, DP/N D73P8
  • Precision M6700 Covet
  • Precision M6800 Covet

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

muhfugen

Dec 5, 2016
Sorry to side track your thread, but if you dont mind, could you explain why you are collecting old Dell laptops? it just seems like an unusual and very specific thing to collect, and im somewhat curious.

Reactions: Wasmachineman_NL

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Sorry to side track your thread, but if you dont mind, could you explain why you are collecting old Dell laptops? it just seems like an unusual and very specific thing to collect, and im somewhat curious.
Because someone on NBR is already collecting Toughbooks, and in 2018 I bought a Precision M70 for shits 'n giggles, but ended up being sent a Precision M6400 instead, and so my quest to collect older Precisions started.

That, and I love running SPECviewperf on them:

I'm rather picky on the models I want though, they all need to be in good to awesome condition and need to have the best GPUs in them. (unless it's a M6400 or M6500 in which case i'll swap the GPUs anyways for the FirePro equivalents because lol FX 3xxxM cards run hot as hell)

Speaking of M70's, I wish GPU failures weren't so common on them :(

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Some guy is selling a M6500 Covet on eBay for €399 and even though it's in awesome condition that's way too expensive for my blood.

Anyway: the struggle search continues!

Dyslextic

Mar 8, 2020
I have a Dell M6400 with Intel Cord 2 Quad QX9300 and Nvidia FX 2700M (512 Discrete) that I was going to send to the e-waste facility. It in great condition, still works and I believe I up the memory for it to it max. It does not have a hard disk drive in it.

If you like it and we can work out a price (not looking for much - something more than shipping cost), let me know other wise it goes to e-waste facility.

Oh, first time poster here but have been reading this sit and the forums for many years.

Reactions: Wasmachineman_NL

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
I have a Dell M6400 with Intel Cord 2 Quad QX9300 and Nvidia FX 2700M (512 Discrete) that I was going to send to the e-waste facility. It in great condition, still works and I believe I up the memory for it to it max. It does not have a hard disk drive in it.

If you like it and we can work out a price (not looking for much - something more than shipping cost), let me know other wise it goes to e-waste facility.

Oh, first time poster here but have been reading this sit and the forums for many years.
Ooh, except I think shipping is going to be killer.

Dyslextic

Mar 8, 2020
Ooh, except I think shipping is going to be killer.
I have no idea where this would be ship to (State is good enough)? Just curious? Because I would rather sell it to you for shipping then e-waste it. Especially since it seem like you put it too good use?

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
I have no idea where this would be ship to (State is good enough)? Just curious? Because I would rather sell it to you for shipping then e-waste it. Especially since it seem like you put it too good use?
I'd probably part it out though, I already have a M6400 Covet but could use the QX9300 and 16GB (?) RAM.

Oh, and the screen if it's the RGBLED one.

Dyslextic

Mar 8, 2020
I'd probably part it out though, I already have a M6400 Covet but could use the QX9300 and 16GB (?) RAM.

Oh, and the screen if it's the RGBLED one.
That does not bother me. I just dislike the idea of e-wasting something that still may have use for someone else. Well, that is funny, parts are worthy more then the laptop its self (I have desire to part it on ebay). Still, if you wanted it and we can work out shipping (I just take it to the UPS store in town and have them box it, shipping it).

The screen is "17 inch UltraSharp WUXGA (1920x1200) LCD Display".

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
That does not both me. I just dislike the idea of e-wasting something that still may have use for someone else. Well, that is funny, parts are worthy more then the laptop its self (I have desire to part it on ebay). Still, if you wanted it and we can work out shipping (I just take it to the UPS store in town and have them box it, shipping it).

The screen is "17 inch UltraSharp WUXGA (1920x1200) LCD Display".
I'd get hit badly with import fees if I had it shipped from the USA which would make it a rather uninteresting idea. I'm interested in the QX9300 and RAM though, if you're going to part it out.

Speaking of which, UltraSharp WUXGA can mean anything, it either means it's got a WUXGA CCFL screen or a WUXGA RGBLED one. the latter is the one to get.

Dyslextic

Mar 8, 2020
I'd get hit badly with import fees if I had it shipped from the USA which would make it a rather uninteresting idea. I'm interested in the QX9300 and RAM though, if you're going to part it out.

Speaking of which, UltraSharp WUXGA can mean anything, it either means it's got a WUXGA CCFL screen or a WUXGA RGBLED one. the latter is the one to get.
So the Memory is "OCZ OCZ3M10664GK PC3-8500 DDR3 1066MHz SODIMM 4 GB Dual Channel Kit" and there are a total of 4 dimms (two on back side and if I remember right, two under keyboard).

I have no idea on the screen that UltraSharp is want the Dell invoiced had.

If you like the part that is fine too. Since I just too it some one apart.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Those DIMMs are 2GB each, not something I exactly can use. I'm interested in the QX9300 though, pending price.

Dyslextic

Mar 8, 2020
Those DIMMs are 2GB each, not something I exactly can use. I'm interested in the QX9300 though, pending price.
So what is a fair price do you feel with shipping (I have no idea where you are)? I never really sold any thin on line, usually to friends or e-waste it. Let me know what you think/are will to pay - so long as I do not end up losing money (AKA shipping fees) on it.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
I don't know what shipping would be to The Netherlands but I guess it won't be much considering how little a CPU weighs.