EU WTB cheap Xeon+MB bundle x3

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Hi,

I want to build a play/test ceph cluster and just want the bare minimum, so I am looking to buy

3 x motherboards (whatever)
3 x xeon e5-v2 or e3-v2

I don't care what brand the motherboards are - I prefer if they have ipmi, but I can work without, since this is just for testing purposes - I will not be putting anything of value onto this "cluster" - and I will probably just recycle the equipment, when I get bored with having it lying around.

Naturally the boards need to match the cpu's - xeons v2 can usually be had for around $20 - but I am willing to pay a little more if I can get it as a combo.

So if you have a xeon/motherboard bundle you are willing to part with for cheap, please PM me.

cheap is less than EUR 100 per cpu/motherboard bundle

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Not the cheapest, but multiple machines available and I know these can use v2 xeons if the bios is the newer version. They can run 256GB of LRDIMMs as that is what I have in mine, and 128GB of RDIMMs are common even though I think they can run 32GB RDIMMs (for 256GB total) but no one has tried it yet:
HP Z420 Workstation Xeon E5 1607 4 x 3.00GHz 8GB 1TB DVD-RW PC A | eBay

These particular units already come with processors and some ram so you've got some basics already and can build them up as you see fit. No impi, but I do think they have a type of desktop management built-in (I know it's there on mine even though I haven't played with it). Because they're essentially standard desktops and are still in demand even used, you'll be able to sell them easily later when you are done with them. :)

Reactions: Bjorn Smith