[WTB] ANY cheap SSD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

djdwosk97

Jan 19, 2016
I'm looking to throw an SSD in my parents laptop and in my FreeNAS server, so I'm in need of a few dirt cheap SSDs. Literally anything (>= 30gb) will do.

Unfortunately I don't have much of a budget to spend on them, hence why I haven't just picked up a few 60GB refurbed SSDs off Newegg for $25 each. I don't know where else to turn to at this point, so hopefully I'll have some luck here.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
By the time anyone here ships you a drive you're probably looking at 25-30 dollars anyway, you can pick up drives like the intel 320 from ebay for that price range in 40-80gb in capacity Same for the older samsung 830 line although in both cases you're not far from a NEW OczTrion drive and you could always store a few dollars a month/week in paypal to build up a small budget...

djdwosk97

Jan 19, 2016
By the time anyone here ships you a drive you're probably looking at 25-30 dollars anyway, you can pick up drives like the intel 320 from ebay for that price range in 40-80gb in capacity Same for the older samsung 830 line although in both cases you're not far from a NEW OczTrion drive and you could always store a few dollars a month/week in paypal to build up a small budget...
I haven't been able to find any decent deals on Ebay. And for something as small, light, and cheap as an SSD shipping shouldn't be very much.

djdwosk97

Jan 19, 2016
I found This and this the samsung is better for a laptop the intel a better fit for a server(it's not perfect but the 320's were solid drives)
For $25 I can get a 60gb SSD straight from Newegg, so the first one is in no way cheap, and the second one is decent although still not great since I'd get a new one for $40 at that point, but I'm after a dirt cheap SSD that's basically outlived it's use due to having 30-60gb of capacity.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
The problem you run into is that the OLD SSD on ebay are of higher quality and that's why they're still around 5+ years later.

(Intel G2, Intel 320, Samsung 830, etc... the intels I know for a fact you can get for <$20 shipped but you need to watch, make offers, etc.. the 830 for <40 is a good deal because the Trion or whatever newegg drive is likely not near as good.)

you likely won't find old, dated, CHEAP CHEAP drives because they were low quality, and are dead or past their usage anymore ;)

djdwosk97

Jan 19, 2016
The problem you run into is that the OLD SSD on ebay are of higher quality and that's why they're still around 5+ years later.

(Intel G2, Intel 320, Samsung 830, etc... the intels I know for a fact you can get for <$20 shipped but you need to watch, make offers, etc.. the 830 for <40 is a good deal because the Trion or whatever newegg drive is likely not near as good.)

you likely won't find old, dated, CHEAP CHEAP drives because they were low quality, and are dead or past their usage anymore ;)
An Adata SP550 is just as good as an 830 if not better considering it's brand new. So I'd go for a 120gb SP550 for $40 over a used 830 for $35 any day.

There should still be a lot of 30-60gb Crucial, Intel, Samsung, and OCZ drives lying around that are working just fine they've just been relegated to the scrap pile as people upgrade to newer larger SSDs.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
An Adata SP550 is just as good as an 830 if not better considering it's brand new. So I'd go for a 120gb SP550 for $40 over a used 830 for $35 any day.

There should still be a lot of 30-60gb Crucial, Intel, Samsung, and OCZ drives lying around that are working just fine they've just been relegated to the scrap pile as people upgrade to newer larger SSDs.
If that's the case then why aren't you able to find them easily?

I'm sorry but those people you think are hoarding old SSD have likely already sold them 2 years after they were released and then got new ones, and then sold those already too... you can believe what you want, but Ebay is going to be your best bet for these really old SSD, and they are there for <20$ I already said that, but they're going to be Intel 320 or Intel G2 40-80GB drives. If you can't find them for that price start putting in offers, and bids...

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
$25 is also in the dirt cheap range...
You seem to be looking for handouts here... Perhaps you have some useful skills you can offer someone as trade.

djdwosk97

Jan 19, 2016
$25 is also in the dirt cheap range...
You seem to be looking for handouts here... Perhaps you have some useful skills you can offer someone as trade.
I wouldn't consider $25 cheap for a used <60gb drive when manufacturer refurbished are frequently available at that price point.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Shipping cost ~7$ so you're wanting a $13 40-80GB SSD.

I think you're failing to take into account the TIME it takes to package the item, drop it off/mail it, etc... I honestly would rather throw a drive away than have to work for $10 - $13 AND STILL risk you not being happy / it busting within 90 days and then having to spend MORE TIME on a transaction that wasn't worth anything in the first place.

The fact that you can't find them should be proof enough that such price points for old SSD don't exist and/or are very hard to find.

I'm not sure if you're trying to convince us or yourself that they should be out there for cheap ;)

I'll say it again, if you want cheap Intel watch ebay for a 40Gb 320 or G2... but even those are regularly listed for 20-30 and require negotiations.

Reactions: dataoscar and Fritz

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I wouldn't consider $25 cheap for a used <60gb drive when manufacturer refurbished are frequently available at that price point.
The smaller the drive, the worse the c/gb becomes... I don't look at things under 480gb anymore... my first SSD was a 128GB OCZ vertex gen1...
That drive is from 2008... and it is still bigger than what you are looking for.
It makes for a nice test drive and is not worth replacement cost or shipping cost.
I have run its "Health" status to 0 twice now.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Smallest SSD I ever bought was 80gig. anything smaller is all but useless. Even if I had some I wouldn't sell them because it's not worth the potential grief.

djdwosk97

Jan 19, 2016
The smaller the drive, the worse the c/gb becomes... I don't look at things under 480gb anymore... my first SSD was a 128GB OCZ vertex gen1...
That drive is from 2008... and it is still bigger than what you are looking for.
It makes for a nice test drive and is not worth replacement cost or shipping cost.
I have run its "Health" status to 0 twice now.
Smallest SSD I ever bought was 80gig. anything smaller is all but useless. Even if I had some I wouldn't sell them because it's not worth the potential grief.
When I know for a fact that I only need something that's just big enough for windows and a few programs, then even a 30gb SSD is sufficiently large.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
They're trying to tell you that even 5+ years ago not many people were buying 40GB SSD and why you are having a very hard time finding them for only a few bucks... no one is hoarding them.