WTB Any 2TB HDDs less than 7 years old

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Noneon

Jul 31, 2020
I want to but some 2TB HDDs that are less than 7 years old.
They can be any brand and SMR or PMR I don't care.
Can be sata or sas.
I will buy for $25 each for sata or $20 each sas.
I also want some 10Gbe or 25Gbe Ethernet pcie cards dual or quad port I don't care just not single.

Reactions: Samir

Magius

Oct 15, 2016
Orlando, FL
For what it's worth (and no, I'm not selling them) I have 39 drives between my two servers. The absolute newest one was manufactured in March of '14, so it's ~6.5 years old. The oldest one was manufactured Sept. '09, so it's going on 11 with 87,300+ power on hours :) No reason to be especially afraid of older drives.

Also, since it's right around your price range, I've found that just about any day of the week you can get 3TB Hitachi SAS drives from eBay at under $25 each (HUS723030ALS640). Especially if you do a "best offer" for multiples. The last batch I bought was in Oct'19 and the drives I got were mostly from 2013-2014 with one from 2012. The caveat is that most of the drives come with a 520B block size, instead of 512B. You just have to run a low-level format to change the block size before you add them to your array, otherwise they've been great for me. I can send you those formatting commands if you like. Good luck!

Reactions: Marsh and Samir

AlexHuang

Sep 28, 2019
I want to but some 2TB HDDs that are less than 7 years old.
They can be any brand and SMR or PMR I don't care.
Can be sata or sas.
I will buy for $25 each for sata or $20 each sas.
I also want some 10Gbe or 25Gbe Ethernet pcie cards dual or quad port I don't care just not single.
If you’re open to considering older drives, I have a bunch of WD Green 2TB drives that are about 11 years old. I used them for cold storage. Recently DBANd them with good success.

Reactions: Samir

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
those prices should be reversed...sas drives usually sell for higher than SATA drives.