WTB: 5x 8tb NAS HD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
Good morning,

My NAS has 5x 4tb drives that are in the 50,000 hr range and I expect them to give me SMART error in the next year or so. I want to start looking for replacement drives around 8tb (the more the better but I like 8tb to be the minimum).

Is there anyone in the US that have 5 low hour 8TB NAS drives (Red,black etc) that are sitting around? Please send me a msg with your asking price.

Thank you

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
If you can use sas drives, 8TB can usually be had for under $100 if you look carefully. Otherwise, the normal 'shucked' drives would be your best bet if you don't want something with 20-30k hrs on them. Most everyone I see selling 8TB sata drives have about this much use on them as the upgrade to larger drives.

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
Good morning,

My NAS has 5x 4tb drives that are in the 50,000 hr range and I expect them to give me SMART error in the next year or so. I want to start looking for replacement drives around 8tb (the more the better but I like 8tb to be the minimum).

Is there anyone in the US that have 5 low hour 8TB NAS drives (Red,black etc) that are sitting around? Please send me a msg with your asking price.

Thank you
I have a single 8TB WD RED, probably around 27-29k hours, has ~12 remapped sectors, but SMART still shows good, still works, etc, I can show you SMART stats on remapped sector history out of LibreNMS if you want. Was gonna junk it, but if you want it, make an offer? It's not 5, but it gets you one drive?

Edit, Smart data for reallocated sectors:
da8.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: nk215 and Samir

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
Like Samir said, your best bet would be to shuck these when they go on sale for $140 again: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-eas...-3-0-hard-drive-black/6425302.p?skuId=6425302
Or buy some used SAS drives if you have the connection/controller for them.
Thank you. I think the best is waiting for the BB sale. My NAS does use SAS connections and I have no issue mixing SATA and SAS drives in the same array.

Thinking more about this, due to COVID-19, shipping takes forever to get anywhere and it's best not to subject HDs to such hardship. I'll wait to get them locally from BestBuy

Thanks