AU [WTB] 2U or 3U chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nasci

Jan 13, 2021
Hi all,

I'm building my first rackmount server (planning a Xeon Silver 4208 and Supermicro MBD-X11SPL) but I'm struggling to find a decent (and reasonably priced) chassis here in Australia. I've been looking at the Supermicro CSE-825TQ but shipping from the US increases the cost to around $825 AUD which is a bit out of my price range. It is available locally but costs about $1300 AUD (way out of my price range). I'm open to other brands or models, but I need a chassis that meets the following requirements:
- at least 8 hot swap 3.5" bays
- fits standard ATX motherboard (this eliminates most Dell and HPE servers from what I've read)
- SATA 3 backplane
- 2U or 3U (possibly even 4U but don't need the extra space/drive bays)

If cheap enough, I would also consider buying an older Supermicro machine and replace the guts.

Is anyone looking to sell such a chassis (or an old server with a suitable chassis)? Preferably in Australia, but I am willing to look at international shipping if it ends up cheaper than the $825 AUD deal above. I can pick up from anywhere in the Melbourne region, or pay for shipping from anywhere else in the country.

Thanks.