WTB 2/4 TB 2.5" Hard drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sno.cn

Sep 23, 2016
Just got off the phone with Amex. I'm happy to say that both of my payments to PrivateColo have been charged back. Huge thanks to Amex for the quick resolution. I linked to this thread and attached invoices when I disputed the charges, which I'm sure helped.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
It is. Photos match. He also posts his bike pictures on there and, at least once, posted photos of the same bikes on osbot.

Fun thing:
Screen-Shot-2016-10-27-16-38-03.png
Screen-Shot-2016-10-27-16-38-20.png

Note the comment on the facebook photo, none other than Billy Evans. They're tight enough that Billy verified his ID and signed the papers this time, but the osbot account makes it apparent that Joshua is the one controlling the forum accounts. Makes sense that "Billy" always uses a VPN in that context.

Another, for kicks:
Screen-Shot-2016-10-27-16-30-45.png
Screen-Shot-2016-10-27-16-30-56.png
I realize your having fun with this, but I think all of your energy would be better spent searching for his missing daughter. I mean am I the only one concerned about her!! :)

Here she was about to get a new bunk bed and now she's missing! The first 48 hours are the most critical ya know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bradford

May 27, 2016
I love this thread. It's as if this clown is trying to pull a Jedi mind trick on us, but he doesn't realize he's Jar-Jar Binks stumbling around, knocking stuff over instead. I would be a little less amused by it if Amex didn't have my back. This whole thing is just comical.

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
I love this thread. It's as if this clown is trying to pull a Jedi mind trick on us, but he doesn't realize he's Jar-Jar Binks stumbling around, knocking stuff over instead. I would be a little less amused by it if Amex didn't have my back. This whole thing is just comical.
Interesting how things change 30+ yrs ago, confidence tricksters, did it face to face, or house to house or by mail, now the medium is via digital comms. Been bottom feeders for ever, and looks like they still exist, jumping from one dodgy story to the next. Hopefully all the folks get their money back.
Seems this time the dodgy brothers / dodgy brother with many identities is doing a good job of his clown impersonation.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Such a mess...

For those of you that still wanted some of these drives, mine showed up, so I'm just testing the SMART data on them now. Should have at least 10 up for grabs.

Reactions: zhoulander

abq

May 23, 2015
Such a mess...

For those of you that still wanted some of these drives, mine showed up, so I'm just testing the SMART data on them now. Should have at least 10 up for grabs.

Thank you, I will take 10 x 4gb drives! ...does paypal work with you?

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
@BlueFox
are those 3.5" drives or 2.5" drives?

If they are 2.5" drives I'll take 5 if you got any left.

if they are 3.5" full size desktop drives i'll pass.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
They're the Seagate ST4000LM016 2.5" 4TB drives we all thought we bought.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
All done testing. So, results are as follows:

There are 40 total.
I'm keeping 25-28 for myself to fill a 24 bay 2U chassis and possibly a 2 bay NAS with spare(s).
5 are new and sealed.
4 have a few reallocated sectors, but are otherwise fine.

Unfortunately I will not have enough to go around for everyone. :(

Kaishi

Mar 7, 2011
All done testing. So, results are as follows:

There are 40 total.
I'm keeping 25-28 for myself to fill a 24 bay 2U chassis and possibly a 2 bay NAS with spare(s).
5 are new and sealed.
4 have a few reallocated sectors, but are otherwise fine.

Unfortunately I will not have enough to go around for everyone. :(
No worries! I still ened some for a 24-bay 2U just like yours, where do you recommend buying them? Can they still be had for shucking?

Or would it be better to wait for the 5TB version to launch and the 4TB to see a pricedrop?

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
I got lucky with a large lot on eBay, so not really sure where else to get them. Pulling them from externals has been rather popular like you mentioned. There's a long thread about that in the storage subforum. Waiting is up to you. I have no idea how much the price will drop.

At this point the 5 new ones have been sold, so 7-10 remain, of which 4 have a few reallocated sectors (can post SMART data).

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
5TB drives are SMR drives which I don't want to stick in my RAID array. I'm leery about using them as RAID disks.

now if I were to go full 2tb and put them in my UnRAID system i wouldn't have too much problem with them as UnRAID and SMR disks work rather well for my case (Write once, read seldom)

Very happy to pickup some of these drives from BlueFox. Will post back with all my scans when I get them. :)

Kaishi

Mar 7, 2011
5TB drives are SMR drives which I don't want to stick in my RAID array. I'm leery about using them as RAID disks.

now if I were to go full 2tb and put them in my UnRAID system i wouldn't have too much problem with them as UnRAID and SMR disks work rather well for my case (Write once, read seldom)

Very happy to pickup some of these drives from BlueFox. Will post back with all my scans when I get them. :)
You're right, they are SMR. Which ZFS presently doesn't understand at all, but might someday. SMR is the future of HDDs until HAMR, but HAMR will use SMR-like techs too.

So I need to get my hands on 16-30 2TB to 4TB (ideally 4TB) 2.5" disks. RPM doesn't matter too much. I'm still thinking these are the right drives. Basically the same as the OP, pages and pages ago.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
So I need to get my hands on 16-30 2TB to 4TB (ideally 4TB) 2.5" disks. RPM doesn't matter too much. I'm still thinking these are the right drives. Basically the same as the OP, pages and pages ago.
You'll want the 4TB model that BlueFox posted above or one of the variations of this drive:

ST4000LM016