EU [WTB] 1U low-power server/pc

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

codebreaker

Nov 10, 2020
Looking to get a 1U rack mountable low power server.

It should preferably be a 2 post mountable. If it is not, it should include rails and/or other mounting equipment.
It should come with everything (CPU, RAM, Storage), but if it does not have everything I might work around it depending on the server.

Finally, if the price is right, I might get multiple of them (if you have them, of course).

dreamsin

Oct 31, 2018
I have spare RX1330 M1, e3-1230v3, 32gb of unbuffered ECC ram in the EU if you might be interested.
200€

bob_dvb

Sep 7, 2018
Not quite London
www.orbit.me.uk
You could look at the STH Tiny, Mini, Micro series, but that's not rackmount.

Otherwise the Atom C3558 which is not cheap, but on the cheap side the Intel J5040

At 100W there is also the Epyc 3000 Embedded, but that's probably higher budget.

codebreaker

Nov 10, 2020
I am following the TinyMiniMicro series but the cheapest units I could find in europe are over €200. There were some good offers in the UK, but now that it is not a member of the EU anymore, it is not affordable to import.

Because of shipping cost I can't build my own outside of my country. And in side my country, hell no...

At that price I could get some good servers in the EU, but since I am looking at low power I was hoping it would be somewhat low in price as well.

hmartin

Sep 20, 2017
You don't mention CPU performance. You can easily purchase something with an Atom that won't exceed 40W under load, but the performance will be terrible.

You can limit the power consumption of a server by limiting the CPU speed in the OS (e.g. choose the powersave governor in Linux to force the CPU to stay at lower frequencies). The Dell R210 II idles around 20W, and if you limit the CPU speed to <2GHz you can keep the power consumption of the R210 II with an E3-1220v2 under 50W easily.

I have yet to find an E5-2600 motherboard that will idle under 40W, which is too bad because E5 Xeons and Reg ECC are really cheap.

Anyway, what's your goal of limiting the maximum power consumption? I would focus more on idle power consumption personally.

Something like the Supermicro X10SLE-F idles at 15W, and the Fujitsu TX140 S2 idles at 18W. These motherboards are available very inexpensively on eBay (30€ for the TX140 S2) and include a BMC for remote management. You can also find cheap Supermicro chassis like the SC512.

On some Intel servers (cough Intel S1200BTL cough) you can even edit the fan curves to keep the server quiet under load. Temperatures will rise if you haven't limited the CPU speed, but eventually it will just thermal throttle. (If you are interested in the S1200BTL with a low power CPU, I can replace the E3-1220v2 with a Core i3-3220T. It already has a modded fan curve to stay quiet.)

The HP T520/T620 are within your budget and power range. Just purchase a 1U rack shelf from Thomann and some zip ties and you're done.