EU [WTB] 19" Rackmount USB Hub >= 10 port

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

codebreaker

Nov 10, 2020
I'm looking to connect some equipment to monitoring server over RS232 serial communication.
My plan is to get a rackmount USB Hub with 10 or more ports to connect a bunch of RS232 to USB converters.

Can't find anything in stock or priced decently so hoping to find it here.

Reactions: Samir

elvisimprsntr

May 9, 2021
Florida
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Samir and Aestr

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
If you still look at the usb route after the console servers, I have one of these that I got from someone doing chia with a bunch of external drives and he said it was rock solid. It has a really solid build and feel to it and you could probably find some sort of 3d printed mount on thinguniverse/etc.

AFisher

Jun 2, 2017
I went with an Industrial USB 3 Hub\switch and mounted it to the side wall of my enclosure!
It's nice as it was powered so I didn't need to worry about limited power, 10 ports added to the single host, if you want immediate access to the USP ports, I pulled 5 to the front of my rack and used a blank Keystone 19in mount, and added some USB/USB keystones

codebreaker

Nov 10, 2020
@Samir @AFisher

From AliExpress I can get 10x RS232 and 1x 10 port usb 2.0 powered hub for around 30 euros. It is not pretty but it works.
To make it pretty i would give, say 20€.

So my budget is 50 euros for RS232 and a pretty USB hub :D

If OPENGEAR CM4148-SAC was available in europe for the same price I would jump on it!

So far all serial console servers I could find in europe are more than 100 euros with shipping.

Serial console manager seems to be a way to go. Will keep an eye out for those!

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Almost all larger usb hubs (7+) are garbage that will stop working or not even work right to begin with-been there, done that. That's the only reason I bought the sabrent units--because someone had actually vetted that they work in an environment where timeouts/dropouts/etc would have been enough reason to replace them.

If you've got a pci slot, you could always just get a multi serial card and connect direct to all the devices.

codebreaker

Nov 10, 2020
No pci slot, unfortunately. I'm using a Dell Wyse as a monitoring server for all of the equipment. Good info.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
No pci slot, unfortunately. I'm using a Dell Wyse as a monitoring server for all of the equipment. Good info.
Ah, then this is what you want:

I couldn't find any of these cheap on ebay, but the smaller 4-port and 8-port ones are quite cheap. Even some of the db25 16-port versions are pretty cheap:

If you don't mind changing from the Dell Wyse to a Lenovo M32 thin client that has 4x serial ports built-in, then you can just add the 8-port digi and be done: