WTB: 12U Soundproof Quiet Server Rack

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bubbagump00

Nov 13, 2017
Looking to buy a 12U quiet server rack. I would really like a Ucoustic Active 12U rack, or something that offers similar noise reduction and thermal performance.

I am downsizing from my 24U NetShelter CX quiet server rack. I would be willing to trade with someone also, if someone is looking to get more quiet rack space. Thanks!

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
I’d love to have silent rackspace at home. Most people I’ve asked say it can’t be done, a few say that it can.

Short of spend several thousand £££ on a specially designed cabinet, what would you all who are reading this thread think?

Intuitively, I would imagine that getting a 2U-4U chassis that can be fitted with several large fans (not blowers!) that make little noise because they can spin more slowly, plus Noctua HSF/s might work out. Because this would be for home, I would not pay a data center. It’s more like an airy tower case that has been configured with decent airflow and space inside the chassis so temperature doesn’t get concentrated, and then turned on its side.

Lennong

Jun 8, 2017
I’d love to have silent rackspace at home. Most people I’ve asked say it can’t be done, a few say that it can.

Short of spend several thousand £££ on a specially designed cabinet, what would you all who are reading this thread think?

Intuitively, I would imagine that getting a 2U-4U chassis that can be fitted with several large fans (not blowers!) that make little noise because they can spin more slowly, plus Noctua HSF/s might work out. Because this would be for home, I would not pay a data center. It’s more like an airy tower case that has been configured with decent airflow and space inside the chassis so temperature doesn’t get concentrated, and then turned on its side.
I'll say it can. I have a Startech 12U on wheels with a Norco RPC 4224 holding 24 disks + a Supermicro 2U that holds a Intel J1900 working as FW/VPN. The Norco rests on a 12cm polyurethane mattress on the bottom with no metal connection (not bolted) except earth wires to rack. The matress is earted as well with two metal rods in them (static can be generated from polyurethane mattresses).

I have modifed the fan wall on the Norco and fitted 3 Noctua NF-a14 IndustrialPPC 3000 Fans + sealed it to force all air through the fans. In front of Norco chassis I have mounted 2 x 900rpm 180mm fans to push in air through the HDD caddys. I also make use of the underpressure in apartment with that I sealed off the space behind door in front of chassies and where I force feed the air directly from central ventilation through the chassis on top and out in the back.

2x 2670 v1, 2x Noctua NH-U9S, Intel S2600CP2J, and 100+TB of storage dead silent. When transcoding is done I rarely just can hear the Noctua 3000 fans rev up but 99% of time my laptop makes more noice (sitting 2 meters from rack). HDD's constantly in low 30's C.

Sorry for hijacking but I thought it could be useful if OP perhaps considered to build something. Feel free to holla and I will delete my post or put up elsewhere.. :)

Reactions: K D

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
That seems like overkill, a Norco RPC 4224 should make no more noise than a standard desktop with 120mm fans especially since it's compatible with a standard ATX PSU. But I like your idea of forcefully venting that central AC vent into the rack. Pretty creative way of getting specialized rack cooling without having to get a portable AC.

Lennong

Jun 8, 2017
That seems like overkill, a Norco RPC 4224 should make no more noise than a standard desktop with 120mm fans especially since it's compatible with a standard ATX PSU. But I like your idea of forcefully venting that central AC vent into the rack. Pretty creative way of getting specialized rack cooling without having to get a portable AC.
Overkill is good in my book. It guarantees silence, longevity and leaves room for bigger badder things in future. ;)

Reactions: frogtech

bubbagump00

Nov 13, 2017
I'll say it can. I have a Startech 12U on wheels with a Norco RPC 4224 holding 24 disks + a Supermicro 2U that holds a Intel J1900 working as FW/VPN. The Norco rests on a 12cm polyurethane mattress on the bottom with no metal connection (not bolted) except earth wires to rack. The matress is earted as well with two metal rods in them (static can be generated from polyurethane mattresses).

I have modifed the fan wall on the Norco and fitted 3 Noctua NF-a14 IndustrialPPC 3000 Fans + sealed it to force all air through the fans. In front of Norco chassis I have mounted 2 x 900rpm 180mm fans to push in air through the HDD caddys. I also make use of the underpressure in apartment with that I sealed off the space behind door in front of chassies and where I force feed the air directly from central ventilation through the chassis on top and out in the back.

2x 2670 v1, 2x Noctua NH-U9S, Intel S2600CP2J, and 100+TB of storage dead silent. When transcoding is done I rarely just can hear the Noctua 3000 fans rev up but 99% of time my laptop makes more noice (sitting 2 meters from rack). HDD's constantly in low 30's C.

Sorry for hijacking but I thought it could be useful if OP perhaps considered to build something. Feel free to holla and I will delete my post or put up elsewhere.. :)
Cool setup! No need to apologize. I'm considering other options too, and these are some good ideas.