Wow that's a lot of flash!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
...Never had problems with OCZ (Typing this on a laptop with a Agility 4 512GB). I've heard very bad things about their Vertex drives, but that's about it. On the other hand, I've gone through several Kingston drives.

Now, OCZ is made by Toshiba. I'd think that'd be a good thing.

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
Well it says OEM OCZ....but these are nimbusdata drive not the typical vertex 3 OCZ. I say this assuming Nimbus wouldn't put their name on junk, as they are a pretty solid company. I have tried searching to find more info on these nimbus drives but can't find any info. Either way that's $0.49 per GB and that doesn't take into account 7 aoc, 48gb ram, dual processors, 2jbods, 1 server chassis, and cabling. Also this doesn't take into account the proprietary os which maybe a fantastic bargain in and of itself. But if you were to wipe everything clean and load your is of choice that's up to use but might be lacking drivers for the fiber channel or whatever fabric cards they are using. All in all I think its a pretty good deal for the flash alone, might even be able to low ball it with a best offer.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
...Never had problems with OCZ (Typing this on a laptop with a Agility 4 512GB). I've heard very bad things about their Vertex drives, but that's about it. On the other hand, I've gone through several Kingston drives.

Now, OCZ is made by Toshiba. I'd think that'd be a good thing.
That is interesting. Vertex 1 and 2's I had RMA'd close to 100% of the drives I had. Frankly, it was one of the drivers for me using local storage only for applications with all data on NAS storage.

Vertex 4's have been great.

I think these were the pre-Toshiba purchase timeframe numbus data drives. I would imagine no warranty.

Still, very interesting platform. The big question is what you could BO for it and if you get a nimbus license for it. I would guess not but stranger things have happened.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Well this too me looks very interesting and being that it is a nimbus piece of equipment and a whole boat load of flash the price isn't half bad!

22 4TB SSD Storage Array Supermicro X8DTH 6 2XQC E5620 48GB 56X 400GB SSD | eBay
I'm not at all excited about the OCZ part of the deal, but there is also this: I know from experience that the two E5620 CPUs and their single Intel IO chip can't handle anything near as much IO as those drives and cards can put out. Whomever buys this $10K bundle needs to do a CPU+Motherboard swap if they want to maximize performance. They really need the PCIe3 generation of Xeon chips to handle the IO, even if they plan to stick with the PCIe2 cards.

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
@dba could not agree with you more on the mobo swap. I was spinning my wheels for months with socket 1366 systems and why I could not break through the 600,000 iops 4k and 4-5ish Gbps mark. Upgraded to socket 2011 and boom now limits are 2million plus and 24gbps on dual socket boards.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
Well it says OEM OCZ....but these are nimbusdata drive not the typical vertex 3 OCZ. I say this assuming Nimbus wouldn't put their name on junk, as they are a pretty solid company. I have tried searching to find more info on these nimbus drives but can't find any info. Either way that's $0.49 per GB and that doesn't take into account 7 aoc, 48gb ram, dual processors, 2jbods, 1 server chassis, and cabling. Also this doesn't take into account the proprietary os which maybe a fantastic bargain in and of itself. But if you were to wipe everything clean and load your is of choice that's up to use but might be lacking drivers for the fiber channel or whatever fabric cards they are using. All in all I think its a pretty good deal for the flash alone, might even be able to low ball it with a best offer.
Do you think this is a working Nimbus array or just a Nimbus chassis and drives? Now I'm quite curious! The outside does like like the 2011-era Nimbus, e.g. a Supermicro chassis with blue plastic accents, but the guts look like a stripped-out Supermicro chassis with basic non-redundant Supermicro JBOD power boards. While as a famous eBay cheapskate I approve of the architecture, I can't imagine Nimbus selling this as "Enterprise" gear. The auction also says software "not included", which makes me wonder.

Reactions: Chuntzu

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@dba - I actually think it is a former nimbus array with all software wiped. I do not know how they did the boot partition. It would be very interesting if there was some sort of SATADOM or similar with a boot partition since it could still be on the array then.

The Interface Masters I/O cards are not a standard option either since they are not typical white box kit.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
@dba - I actually think it is a former nimbus array with all software wiped. I do not know how they did the boot partition. It would be very interesting if there was some sort of SATADOM or similar with a boot partition since it could still be on the array then.

The Interface Masters I/O cards are not a standard option either since they are not typical white box kit.
The SATADOM is included in the auction (blow-up of the auction photo attached) but you are probably right that it has been wiped. They likely would have said so if it had not.

Attachments