Worth using this desktop computer?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

FrancisKing

Mar 11, 2023
Hello.

I would appreciate your views on my desktop computer, and its suitability for use as a NAS server.

Current situation

I have a number of computers:
  • Desktop, Windows 11, very new
  • Desktop, Linux, 15 years old <<< target for use as a NAS server
  • Laptop, Windows 10, 6 years old, cheap & nasty HP junk
  • Laptop, Linux, ancient
My old desktop has a dual core processor and 4 GB of memory (4 x 1GB). It uses WiFi for networking. A big strength is that it has a lot of drive bays and SATA sockets. Currently it has a 256GB SSD and a 400 GB HDD.

Strategy

I saw an article which suggest using an old desktop computer as a NAS server, using FreeNAS. I learnt that it comes in two versions, a small version which requires 2GB and a large version that requires 8GB. So the small version seems ideal.

The graphics card on the old desktop is so old that even newer Linux versions don't have graphics drivers for it, except for a Nouveau driver which doesn't work properly. So, never mind Windows 10, Linux will also reach end of life in 2025.

Power Supply

The power supply is very old, its the one that came with the computer. How likely is it to be working properly, and how likely is it to be on its last legs? How can I tell one way or the other?

Memory

Apparently, FreeNAS has been replaced by TrueNAS. TrueNAS requires 8GB of memory, according to the TrueNAS website. Does this seem about right? Will I need to update the memory?

Overall

The idea of taking an old desktop and using it for something useful really appeals to me. But eventually there comes a point when the computer is so old that it doesn't make sense.

Should I give up on this computer and buy a second-hand or new desktop instead?

Thoughts, please.

unwind-protect

Mar 7, 2016
Boston
What is the brand and model on the power supply? That's the foundation here.

All those NAS systems, whether they are FreeBSD or Linux based, run fine (if slow) on 4 GB.

FrancisKing

Mar 11, 2023
What is the brand and model on the power supply? That's the foundation here.

All those NAS systems, whether they are FreeBSD or Linux based, run fine (if slow) on 4 GB.
On the power supply says Bestec ATX0300P5WB Rev X3
240V @ 4A. 3.3 + 5V 160W max.

Lots of Molex connectors to the drives, and one massive 2x12 power connector to the motherboard.

Attachments

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
As long as your idea of a nas are limited to Networked Attached Storage, you can easily use your desktop. You will need to find an older version of freenas, etc, but these should work fine as long as you don't update them. And if you're not updating them, be sure to keep them away from the Internet (a firewall rule or static route keeping them away is best). Aside from that, enjoy your NAS!

If it is a Dell that has an ide and sata port, it is an ideal candidate for conversion to an Intel SS4200-e NAS unit. All you need is a boot drive for the idea which you can use a CF card in via an adapter. And you only need 2GB of ram for the SS4200-e software/firmware. Finding the software is a bit of a trick, but should work once you get it and install it. Some limitations are drives limited to 4TB, raid limited to 0+1 or 5, total drives limited to 4x sata, and smb limited to smb2. But otherwise, it will 'just work' for as long as the hardware holds up.