Workstation motherboard in 2u chassis with full length PCI slot?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

feffrey

Oct 3, 2014
I'm looking to build a server with a workstation motherboard & CPU that also has full length PCI slot and go into a 2u chassis, but I've not had found a great solution yet.
Use case is going to be for running containers that need GPU pass through and for containers that need more speed vs a lot of cores.

I'm thinking of a Super Micro x13sae-f when it comes out, a compatible Intel CPU (maybe i9-12900k), and a SuperMicro chassis, like this one, sc825tqc-r802wb, then using PCI express cables in place of risers, since there are no risers for any super micro workstation boards and 2u chassis that I've seen.
Alternatively I could go with a server motherboard & cpu, but I really need more single threaded performance, or go with a 4u tower / rackmount chassis, but I don't have that much rack space open atm.
Any suggestions on other CPU/Mobo/chassis or server that would work?

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Asrock Rack X470 or X570 mATX motherboard and a Ryzen 5600/5800/5900/5950 CPU should also work just fine I think? :)

I believe there are also other cheap 2U cases out there that will support full height PCIe cards with a ribbon cable.

feffrey

Oct 3, 2014
Asrock Rack X470 or X570 mATX motherboard and a Ryzen 5600/5800/5900/5950 CPU should also work just fine I think? :)

I believe there are also other cheap 2U cases out there that will support full height PCIe cards with a ribbon cable.
That's a good point, wasn't thinking of AMD or Asrock RACK, I'll check those out. My main PC is AMD anyway, so an upgrade and hand me down CPU makes sense.

How much GPU power do you need? Zotac makes a GTX 1650 that fits a 2U case, and Gigabyte makes a slightly faster one (DDR6 memory).
Interesting didn't know low profile GPUs like that existed. I'm using a P2000 today, will compare the specs of those.