Workstation build log: classic with a touch of RGB

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ridney

Dec 8, 2015
Singapore
Just so happen to have bought some used pc parts, motherboard and processor, and wanted to create a build log as I go along the way of upgrading it including the cooling system.

Current build (since 2009)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
GPU: Nvidia 1050ti 4gb

New Build
CPU: AMD 1950x Threadripper
Mobo: Gigabyte X399 Aorus G7
GPU: Nvidia 1050ti (wanted a Vega Frontier Edition but no funds yet)

I'll be using the same case, a Lian Li PC-7FW, that I use currently as I can't find a suitable replacement to it.

ridney

Dec 8, 2015
Singapore
Alright some updates, i have received my new case, Fractal Focus G, and transferred my old build into it so i can work on the Lian Li case.

My ultimate goal is to eliminate as much cables as possible and make maintenance as easy as possible.

New case here. Have already removed all water cooling stuff from old build and will be running on air from this point on.

Old classic Lian Li case. Will use this for my workstation build. I think the Fractal case looks much better but since I will be having an external radiator, I am forced to stick with this Lian Li case.

Preparing the old case for some refurbishment

And old build into new case

Reactions: Patrick and William

Tha_14

Server Newbie
Mar 9, 2017
Looks very cool. Good job. Now light that baby up and take some photos :D

ridney

Dec 8, 2015
Singapore
been a little busy from building this little thing but here are some updates

mobo, cpu, ram

was lucky enough that most of the accessories are still in the box (io shield, wifi antenna, rgb extension...)

motherboard still looks new and lightly used but apparently not so lightly used afterall. there's a crack on the heatsink cover for the audio chip as shown below. it doesn't affect the functionality though, which is important. i guess it was damaged from a pcie bracket

bought some corsair rgb vengeance, they say this is the new version? was looking specifically for RGB goodness, didn't matter much if its running at highest speed :) but wow this is my first time buying DDR4 and they are so damn expensive!

memory installed

Reactions: Patrick

ridney

Dec 8, 2015
Singapore
case parts, pass through cable, compression fittings and waterblock have arrived

was thinking of getting an ek waterblock for X399 Aorus 7 that extends through the vrms but the looks didn't really appeal to me so i decided to get a heatkilller IV. i think this is one of the best looking and best performing cpu blocks for TR

was so excited and anxious to test the system since i didn't know if the used mobo and cpu was in working condition, didn't have the opportunity to test it so really terrifying time

waterblock installed

didn't want to move my ssd from previous build so decided to try some nvme stuff (first time too obviously)

first time powering it up and boom! :) put a smile on my face

ridney

Dec 8, 2015
Singapore
what i learned from my previous water cooling build was that everytime you need to remove, change, adjust something in your system that involves the major parts, you have to bring the whole system down, drain it before you can remove or add something to it, usually takes a couple of hours but sometimes it takes a day when you are being lazy, and then rebuild, fill with water/coolant and shake the hell out those trapped air. all in all is not really worth all the trouble but sometimes we are just born stubborn

so for this build, i will try to minimize the pain water cooling system gives so i decided to go with soft tubing with quick disconnects for all major parts like cpu, gpu, reservoir and radiators. good thing is that this time (compared to 10 years ago) quick disconnects are so much more affordable

quick disconnect all direct from koolance (they love to charge you a minimum rate of $50 for international shipping)

everything is vaccum sealed which was unexpected, good job koolance

even comes with rubber caps

QD3 Female Quick Disconnect No-Spill Coupling, Compression for 10mm x 13mm (3/8in x 1/2in) (QD3-FS10X13-BK) - for both ends of tubing
I thought it's important to put these on the tubing ends instead of the blocks, resrvoirs, radiators since this is the part that spills if it's stuck in open position or malfunctions, you never know

QD3 Male Quick Disconnect No-Spill Coupling, Male Threaded G 1/4 BSPP (QD3-MSG4-BK) - for blocks, reservoirs, radiators

So im using the same tubing as my old build. high quality tubing and is my favorite

tubing with female QDs, i'm so happy to look at these. wow quick disconnects! i was only dreaming about having these 10 years ago

Reactions: Cool Runnings

ridney

Dec 8, 2015
Singapore
some small refurbishments for the lian li case

front panel jointer

usb3 and audio io cable, the case is pretty old so only usb2

and finally some new faceplat for the 5.25 dual bay reservoir
old faceplate was plastic, i think i bought this as a very early version of the reservoir

brushed aluminum is a nice touch

Reactions: Cool Runnings

ridney

Dec 8, 2015
Singapore
i will be passing-through the tubing through these holes to external radiator

so i was thinking of putting a fill-port instead and then put a quick-disconnect at the rear for easy maintenance, i later realized that what i was looking for was a bulkhead fitting but too late

external radiator mounting
i love this mounting kit, it looks bulky but is sturdy and holds the radiator firmly well and the best thing is i can quickly dismount the radiator for maintenance like cleaning. i used to use long m4 screws and it was a pain to install and remove the radiator so having this quick=disconnect bracket is a blessing for me

quick disconnects to fill port

now to test if this idea really works
it looks like its a no go

ridney

Dec 8, 2015
Singapore
looking to use these for easy hard drive swaps

build quality is good, it's all aluminum

an 80mm 3000rpm high/2300rpm low fan

drive caddies are aluminum

accepts sata and sas

new psu for threadripper, my old corsair hx850 has only 1 eps 12v to cpu so need a new one
seasonic ultra titanium 850w, not too bad. one of the better looking ones out there

ridney

Dec 8, 2015
Singapore
so unfortunately, i have built everything so far and it looks okay but i was not so happy with it. the hot swap drive bay was a little noisy even at low fan speed so that's a no. and the lian li case, it's a little too old for me and a bit disappointing. i want something better at cable management and some more fans at the top and front panel so i have decided to swap the case and use the Fractal Focus G instead for this build temporarily. I am still looking on how to move the external radiator inside the case that i can still put under my desk (H=520 max). As of the moment the Focus G will be it.

alright, this is still going to be an external rad config. so drilling holes for the tubing

shifted the case wheels to this case so i can install the rad at the back, rad height is 480mm

washers and more washers. need more height

looks a little better

ridney

Dec 8, 2015
Singapore
as promised this build will be have a little RGB on it, so here they are

Corsair LL120 3 pack and a LL140 (need one more, still on the way)

lighting node pro and stuff

ridney

Dec 8, 2015
Singapore
was very fortunate to get a vega fe new for $500, got this locally. this was new but no box as it was oem.
i was waiting for some good deals at ebay everyday since i got the cpu + mobo but the prices are still a little too high for me

and here she is installed and ready to rock :)

ridney

Dec 8, 2015
Singapore
this is why i really like all the quick disconnects for the tubing and the rad. it is now so easy for me to disconnect them and do something inside the case without having to drain and refill the water cooling system. it's just so easy now and so worth it

removed some of the front foam from the front panel as it was very airflow restricted
a little foam left and will do it when i have a little more energy

a little extra unused space behind the front panel so i was thinking of puting a 280mm rad in there and push-pull fans
the clearance from front panel to hdd cage is only 45mm but i already bought a bitspower leviathan 54mm thick rad so this hdd cage needs to be shifted more to the back

easy as it's only four holes to drill

not so clean but it works

now i have 80mm total clearance

ridney

Dec 8, 2015
Singapore
watercool gpu block has arrived, time to submerge this baby

case fans and fan bracket have arrived too
Silverstone FHP-141 v2 38mm thick! push fans for 420 montsa rad (this is the best 140mm fan of all time :D)
NB eloop B14-PS 29mm thick! pull fans for 420 monsta rad

additional 280 rad as i'm adding the that 350w gpu to the loop, this will be installed internally

monsta rad fan mounting for 120/140 fans. this is what i love about this rad. it gives you a lot of options

koolance 120 to 140mm fan bracket, this is for the koolance radiator bracket only, not your typical fan adapter

monsta rad with the fans and QD bracket

pwm fan hub

and this is what it looks now