Workstation: 5120T vs. W-2140B, and mobos.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

balnazzar

Mar 6, 2019
You know what? I'm really considering a 2011-3 processor as an intermediate solution while I figure it properly what kind of serious platform I should go for.
Maybe even Haswell, since they are crap cheap and the performance penalty w.r.t Broadwell is negligible. An Asrock EPC612D8 would guarantee proper slot spacing, and even one further slot for an nvme drive.

Zero hassle and it does the job. Then in 6-12 months I'd buy something more appropriate.

68k-dude

Jan 2, 2020
Hello @balnazzar

How about a HP Z840 ?

I see a lot of these going on ebay and second user IT stores.

Some amazing deals to be had if you can wait for a bargain to show up.

Just a thought

balnazzar

Mar 6, 2019
Hello @balnazzar

How about a HP Z840 ?

I see a lot of these going on ebay and second user IT stores.

Some amazing deals to be had if you can wait for a bargain to show up.

Just a thought
Mmhh, interesting. But I don't think the PSU has the necessary pci-express plugs for three 2080ti. Even worse (correct me if I'm wrong) the mainboard won't support a standard new ATX psu.. :(

Agremlin

May 3, 2020
I'm running 3x2080ti on an ASUS x99-E WS with an E5 2690v3. I only have 96gb ram (bought 128gb of 2400mhz but 1 dimm was dead, total pain to find a matching dimm). Thing i notice most is lack of ram. At 96gb i often go into swap (eg during inference), 128gb may be just enough.
Have a SM X9DRI-LN4F+ rev 1.2 on order 1) as i have a ton of ddr3 ram lying around 2) have 2680 v2's in cupboard 3) they are $150 on ebay (or thereabouts), but undecided if ill make this the main DL build or if ill just use it as a data processing/pandas box with 1x2080ti.Limited sata 3 options but can use pcie for a m2 nvme.
Mistakenly bought a rev 1.01 of the board, spent a crap load of time modding a case to fit it, then spent another few weekends trying to get it to boot. Wouldn't post, sent back and got another board, anyway, all the time ive spent, may have been better just getting a more modern WS board...

Last edited:

balnazzar

Mar 6, 2019
I'm running 3x2080ti on an ASUS x99-E WS with an E5 2690v3. I only have 96gb ram (bought 128gb of 2400mhz but 1 dimm was dead, total pain to find a matching dimm). Thing i notice most is lack of ram. At 96gb i often go into swap (eg during inference), 128gb may be just enough.
Have a SM X9DRI-LN4F+ rev 1.2 on order 1) as i have a ton of ddr3 ram lying around 2) have 2680 v2's in cupboard 3) they are $150 on ebay (or thereabouts), but undecided if ill make this the main DL build or if ill just use it as a data processing/pandas box with 1x2080ti.Limited sata 3 options but can use pcie for a m2 nvme.
Mistakenly bought a rev 1.01 of the board, spent a crap load of time modding a case to fit it, then spent another few weekends trying to get it to boot. Wouldn't post, sent back and got another board, anyway, all the time ive spent, may have been better just getting a more modern WS board...
Thanks, that's a very useful report. I'll think about buying two additional 32gb modules.. The ones I already have are among the most common..
Does the 2690v3 satisfy your needs?

If you were to buy a new platform right now, what would you buy? Consider that my hard limit for cpu+mobo is 1000$/eur.

Agremlin

May 3, 2020
Thanks, that's a very useful report. I'll think about buying two additional 32gb modules.. The ones I already have are among the most common..
Does the 2690v3 satisfy your needs?

If you were to buy a new platform right now, what would you buy? Consider that my hard limit for cpu+mobo is 1000$/eur.
Re: new I haven't done enough research but id certainly look at AMD based builds.
Last new build I did was LGA2066 with I7-7820X but moved on from that to X99 WS where ecc ram is significantly cheaper than gaming ddr4.
I seem to collect used gear when I find a bargain and have the following:
ASUS X99 WS +E5-2690v3
Asrock X99 WS (picked up really cheap)+E5-2660v3
Lenovo P700 +E5-2620v3 (didnt need it but was going for a song on ebay, will look towards beefing this up and selling the SM build at some stage)
SM X9DRI-LN4F that im waiting on.
The E5-2690v3 is pretty sufficient for now, would be nice to have more cores and better single thread performance but I can't really justify it.
Id rather put my money towards another gpu :).

Reactions: balnazzar