Workstation 2017

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
About 6 months ago I got rid of all my PC gear and bought an Alienware 13 w/Graphics Amplifier and Sonnet Thunderbolt 3 external PCIe box with an Intel X520 and scaled down the office. My focus was on the NutanixCE lab rebuild and now that's done, i'm really missing a workstation. I know that X299 and AMD X399 is coming and I see there are people dumping what they have now at good prices and this will last a while so not too worried about bleeding edge.

Ok..it's all here...build will be done tomorrow and video posted soon after:

BEFORE

WALLMOUNT
This was an impulse buy from newegg. I've had it for a while and it turns out it will fit my case perfectly. It's a Navepoint wallmount with VESA support and level built in. I mounted it this weekend to prepare for this weeks build. The desk not centered but will move towards the left so the workstation looks centered.

CPU
Got a killer deal on Hardforum for an 5930k. I originally wanted a 6850k to be only one gen behind, but realized I really don't need it for the time being and when X299 hits the market some folks will be dropping their current x99 CPU's so I may grab a 6900k or something like that later.

COOLING
I got another killer deal on Hardforum for a Corsair H110i with the Astek water pump/block. What can I say, these work great while looking great as well and has the black/silver accents that will match the color scheme with RGB Logo Lighting

MOTHERBOARD
Asus Strix X99 another killer deal on Hardforum for $170. I have the green emblems will replace the current RED on the board as you see below to match the Black/Silver/Green theme for the build.

RAM
32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Platinum. I bought one 16GB (2 x 8GB) kit with another killer deal on Hardforum for $120. Looking for the second set now.

CASE
The Thermaltake Core P3 is a very flexible case. This can be used as a workbench, a normal case with feet, and wallmounted. With plexi to view your handy work and phenomenal cable mgmt and water cooling options it was the obvious choice. I'm waiting on some tempered glass which I hear is coming as an optional item you can purchase so I will move to that when it come out.

PICs

STORAGE - PRIMARY
Primary Storage will be brought to you by Samsung and come in two flavors, one Samsung NVMe M.2 500GB 960 Evo for OS/Application Storage. 4 x Samsung 480GB 853T's (2 in RAID0 for Video import storage and work area, 2 in RAID1 for Games)

PICs

STORAGE - SECONDARY
QNAP TS-1685 16Bay Xeon D-1521 NAS. The NAS will be configured to begin with the following configuration:

1. File Storage and Backups: 6 x 4TB Seagate NAS Drives
2. NVR Surveillance Storage: 4 x 1TB Seagate 1TB SSD/HDD
3. Qtier (Flash Tiering): 4 x Samsung 480GB 843T's
4. Cache (Flash): 2 x Intel 200GB S3700's

This will replace 3 current devices: PX4-300d, Hikvision NVR and Intel NUC currently running Physical Domain/DNS Services. These will all be retired and given to family members.

PICs

GPU
Gigabyte GTX 1080Ti Founders Edition. I got this card for a steal with a trade of my Asus Strix GTX 1070 and some cash. This will be a single GPU system until I can't run what I need at 4k.

NIC
Intel x520 Single Port 10Gbe SFP+ w/Cisco TwinAX

PICs

ACCESSORIES
Cable Mod Green/Black extensions/NZXT Hue+/NZXT AER RGB140 (2)/Logitech G910/Logitech G700/Logitech G933 Artemis/Amazon Echo DOT

PICs

Last edited:

William

May 7, 2015
Man that's a nice setup !
I totally missed the Strix motherboard, it looks very good !
Should get the ROG Strix gtx1080 TI OC for that :)

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
Man that's a nice setup !
I totally missed the Strix motherboard, it looks very good !
Should get the ROG Strix gtx1080 TI OC for that :)
Thanks. I really do want the Strix GTX1080 Ti but I thought the Founders Edition Silver/Green will go good with this. Let's see how it looks when it's done and if it looks wack I may go that route...also, i'm waiting for the 3rd party non ref cards to come down in $$. Even though the performance bests TitanX Pascals for 60% of the cost, I still thing that mid $600's for a GPU is insane.

William

May 7, 2015
Yeah it is insane that's for sure... The one I reviewed was not cheap and it hurt ! LOL

So do you game at 4K or anything like that ?
Both the Strix 1080 and 1080 TI eat 4K for lunch.

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
Honestly, gaming is a tertiary priority, I have two games installed, Battlefield 1 and GTAV, they both give me the quick fix I need..but the days of spending hours gaming, are over. When I do game, though I want buttery smooth, max res and settings. With all these other GPU accelerated workloads, however, it doesn't hurt to have the best.

Reactions: T_Minus

William

May 7, 2015
Yeah I do the same... pretty much only play Path of Exile anymore, but far from a no lifer.
The young guys eat me up in Battlefield 1 and those types of games, I suck pretty badly LOL.

The only other one I play just a little bit right now is Star Citizen and that requires a beastly GPU for 4K. Dam it looks good tho.

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
Ok she's done. actually posting this from it now. Still have cable MGMT to do and i'll be working on the video to try to get it posted to my Youtube channel before the weekend is out.

Reactions: William

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
looks great!

You should look at PlayerUnknown BattleGrounds. I went from only BF4 games to only this one.. I'd been playing BF4 since it came out, and BF3 before that exclusively... I like you don't have much time to game, maybe 15, 30m or if I'm lucky a 1hr session here or there and this game has time/round limit so no super long game play. Totally different game play than Battlefield but wow much more rewarding to come in 1st :)