Working home lab build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Giuseppe

Jan 26, 2020
UK
Hi everyone,
I am new posting here!
I would like to build a home lab to run K8s and other working environments by spinning several VMs.
I am looking to build around 2 x INTEL XEON E5-2670 CPU PROCESSOR 8 CORE 2.60GHZ 20MB L3 CACHE 115W SR0KX.

Cooling the above with 2x Supermicro SMH SNK-P0050AP4 CPU Fans.

Could you please advise on a two sockets MOBO that I can fit on a standardish form factor case and a PSU?
I am posting from the UK just in case there are some limitations around what to choose from.

I am planning to install LXC/LXD on a Ubuntu server.

Really appreciate any advises.
Thank you!
Giuseppe

Last edited:

CrimsonMars

Feb 14, 2019
Hello,
Why go building, you can find complete servers on the cheap in the UK around those CPU´s or even better ones they run from 100GPB to 500GPB on a 2u HP/IBM/Dell one depending on the flavor you like and what you put inside them, topically a bare-bone one is 100, one with 32Gb and 2 basic e5 cpu´s is round the 200 mark all included except disks/bays.

Building one will lot more expensive, all servers have proprietary psu, mainboard, cooling etc. only one I know that is sort of compatible with regular PC components is Supermicro

Giuseppe

Jan 26, 2020
UK
Hi CrimsonMars,
Thank you for the feedback.
Are you referring to micro servers e.g. HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 X3216?

If not do you have any links?
I need good capacity in terms of RAM and CPU cores; the processors I mentioned will give me 16 cores 32 threads to distribute computing cycles to the VMs.

I am opened to your idea but could not find anything as good already built and cheap to run.
Thanks

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I guess the first decision is in regards to form factor - 19" or tower.
19" opens a lot of prebuilt options (mentioned HPE/Dell or Supermicro boxes ), or chassis only solutions.

Tower or consumer chassis limits the selection - especially since they usually limit the boards form factor.
Most dual boards are EEATX or similar in size and might not fit.

Do you already have the CPU and coolers? Or just those you picked out for the new build?

Reactions: Giuseppe

Giuseppe

Jan 26, 2020
UK

Giuseppe

Jan 26, 2020
UK
I guess the first decision is in regards to form factor - 19" or tower.
19" opens a lot of prebuilt options (mentioned HPE/Dell or Supermicro boxes ), or chassis only solutions.

Tower or consumer chassis limits the selection - especially since they usually limit the boards form factor.
Most dual boards are EEATX or similar in size and might not fit.

Do you already have the CPU and coolers? Or just those you picked out for the new build?
Hi Rand and thank you for your reply. No I have not bought anything yet but the CPUs are quite cheap £96 for both and they seem to have good specifications.
I believe it would be easier for me a tower or consumer chassies...I would like to keep the budget down as much as possible.

I am opened to alternatives around the same CPU price and specs.
Thank you for your advise,
Cheers

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
So if you don't want 19" then that limits your choices to either premade Worksations (Dell, HP, eg Hp Z420 workstation intel Xeon e5-2640 2.50ghz 6core 32gb ram 240gb ssd win10pro | eBay [no endorsement], either built to order or replace CPUs if you can get a cheap one.

Else o/c you can build yourself, then the usual recommendation here are Supermicro boards (x9 series, eg XDDRI), pick one with the functionality you want (onboard SAS, extra NICs etc) and then work your way backward (board form factor -> tower size needed) ...

Giuseppe

Jan 26, 2020
UK

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Well if it fits you needs then yes this should work fine :)
Virtualization support on the board should be no issue, but if you want to be sure check the bios manual.