Wondering PCIE SSD mod

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
PCI-E SSD's are nice on paper, far from what I would use in a server.

Servers are built to be reliable, this would mean redundancies, the PCI-E SSD's are not unless you have two and software RAID them.
If you want speed and reliability, a mirrored pair of good SSD's (Intel 530'2 are great for this) will save a lot of pain.

HellDiverUK

Jul 16, 2014
Don't the Enterprise PCI-E boards usually have an internal RAID mirror? Or they certainly have a large quantity of spare flash for over-provisioning.

A decent SSD should be as reliable as the server board it's being plugged in to. Or are you proposing redundant motherboards as well?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I have two similar Intel chassis. I ended up buying the wrong 8x2.5" because they make one, inexplicably, with another 1/2 5.25" spacer on top and 1/2 5.25" on bottom. Why you would not just make a smaller form factor unit. Seems to be in the sheet metal so that will just sit around for the time being.

Point is: the servers are a bit less standard so I would not say it is a 100% chance it works.

@helldriveruk they do have a lot of over provisioned space, especially the P3700/ P3600's.