Won HP ProDesk 400 G4 on auction.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nicenemo

Sep 4, 2020
I received an HP 400 G4 without disks today. It came without disk, without SSD and without WiFi/Bluetooth. It has 8 GB of ram and an Intel 8500T 6 thread no hyper threading or remote management.

I won it on an auction for EU 250, - including taxes transport and auction costs. It looked almost brand new. Good deal.

I spotted on auction site BVA Auctions in the Nethetlands. There was a spelling error in the title. A few others also spotted it ;( Otherwise I had 3 for less.

Usually you see older models which start with a high price.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
EliteDesk is generally the lower PCH platform with a shorter lifespan. The plan is that the TMM ProDesk 400 G4 piece will go live Sunday.

I am going to be a bit critical of it not because it is a bad box, but because I paid WAY more than @nicenemo for what I consider to be a lower spec.

Reactions: nicenemo

nicenemo

Sep 4, 2020
@Patrick there is an August 2020 Bios update for this board.

There was one that went for a bit lower than mine. the other for the same price.

On Windows it is quite performant and silent. It can start Flight Simulator ;) Does not really run but ok.

nicenemo

Sep 4, 2020
Lowest I saw here outside auction was just north of EU 430,- including VAT and shipping. One shop has it priced for over EU 600.

nicenemo

Sep 4, 2020
@Patrick any plans to look into a HP Z2 G4 3.2GHz Mini PC Intel® Xeon® E5 Workstation? Here they are still over EU 1000.

Or any thoughts on NUC8i7HNK Intel Nuc with AMD GPU buildin GPU on die.

EVOJEMM

Apr 6, 2016
Kingston, Jamaica.
EliteDesk is generally the lower PCH platform with a shorter lifespan. The plan is that the TMM ProDesk 400 G4 piece will go live Sunday.

I am going to be a bit critical of it not because it is a bad box, but because I paid WAY more than @nicenemo for what I consider to be a lower spec.
Hi Patrick, I don't agree with this. Especially in the case of the EliteDesk/Prodesk G4 800/400 respectively:

The Elitedesk 800 has the ability to use larger expansion cards such as the Thunderbolt 3 card due to the extra expansion board connector. The Elitedesk 800 does not tend to come with a Sata Drive & cage , although the port is on the motherboard.

marv

Apr 2, 2015
Elitedesks also are supposed to have remote console access via intel AMT. prodesks dont have that, although 600-line have AMT without console.

Reactions: EVOJEMM

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
I received an HP 400 G4 without disks today. It came without disk, without SSD and without WiFi/Bluetooth. It has 8 GB of ram and an Intel 8500T 6 thread no hyper threading or remote management.

I won it on an auction for EU 250, - including taxes transport and auction costs. It looked almost brand new. Good deal.

I spotted on auction site BVA Auctions in the Nethetlands. There was a spelling error in the title. A few others also spotted it ;( Otherwise I had 3 for less.

Usually you see older models which start with a high price.

Wow. That Dutch auction site is fairly broken. You can't filter on price, the results cannot be ranked based on common criteria like time-until-closing, lot size, pricing, pricing or distance-from-area, and the search terms looks broken (look for EliteDesk and you get 18 results. Put in HP EliteDesk and it combines all results from HP and all results on EliteDesk, giving you a crapload more results instead of refining it.

nicenemo

Sep 4, 2020
Wow. That Dutch auction site is fairly broken. You can't filter on price, the results cannot be ranked based on common criteria like time-until-closing, lot size, pricing, pricing or distance-from-area, and the search terms looks broken (look for EliteDesk and you get 18 results. Put in HP EliteDesk and it combines all results from HP and all results on EliteDesk, giving you a crapload more results instead of refining it.
I noticed that too! IMHO it is not that different from searching at Amazon. They have an app but it is not much better. Maybe see it as an opportunity to find that bargain buy like I did. I think creating and maintaining a better search experience is hard for shops that sell a lot of different things. Especially preventing "SEO" abuse and accidental rubbish would be hard. There might also be legal or business reasons not to implement more structured search.

What works for me on BVA-Actions:
  • For Elitedesk mini or Prodesk mini I search on EliteDesk or Prodesk and bookmark the interesting ones with the like functionality.
    I also do search for Pro-Desk and Elite-Desk.
    Searching on mini will give you cars or rubbish.
  • For ThinkCentre tiny. Just search for tiny
  • For Fujitsu, I search on Esprimo
  • For Dell, I search on Optiplex. I am not familar with more Dell specific search terms yet.
  • Searching for Intel or AMD gives some interesting results
I notice that most 1 litre devices for sale or on auction in the Netherlands are HP Prodesks. I did not see Elitedesks. You will find some ThinkCentre tiny devices. Nano devices are too new. Dell and Fujitsu devices are less popular. The Dutch Government but also banks in the Netherlands often use HP devices. Most of the devices you will find at auctions are older I3 or worse. Before bidding familiarize yourself with the auction costs, VAT and transport costs. I do not think It makes sense to ship to the USA. Also check new and refurbished prices elsewhere. Most of the 2nd hand Prodesk mini devices are sold via specialized refurbishing shops. One is Daans Magazijn(Daan's Warehouse) Daans Magazijn: tweedekans elektronica voor een scherpe prijs. I did not buy from them yet. They did answer email inquiry very well. On Dutch webshop bol.com | de winkel van ons allemaal you will find some devices for insane prices. For spacr parts both Amazon and Computeronderdelen kopen | Azerty - Only the best - Azerty might be interesting.

Now at 12th of October 2020, there are no interesting devices in the Auction.