WL 6TB Hard Drive now $150

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
WL means your own risk.

Torture the drives in badblock intensive loop test.
Once is done. Use and remember the backup.

Those drive s mostly used and smart data is erased.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Some of them are better than others. I have many and they are fine. You get good batches and bad bat he's. Overall, the cost saving a should be invested in a spare or two, so when it fails, you can swap in.

I'd buy some if I needed more... Depending on the task!

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
@Chuckleb if I am recalling correctly you have many many many of these in service... any chance you have failure rate #s/data by year? Curious what your 90-150 day failure rate is, and then yearly after if you have it :D

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
I have the 4TB versions, first batch. They had good firmware, were raid enhanced. We lost maybe 5 drives in 30 days, then have been stable since. We haven't had any fail in over 2 years.

This really depends on the batch they get and resell. The 2nd batch they got in from their supplier had bad firmware that they wouldn't even sell me.

I think the drives are RMA drives to the manufacturer, who sells them off to a refurbisher or disposal group, that then rebrands and checks them, wipes data, and sells. So you may get fixed drives which have a good chance of being just fine. Especially in the raid enhanced variety or NAS. For desktop drives, not so sure. The RE and NAS are more hardened so a refurb is probably still fine.

Reactions: T_Minus

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I have the 4TB versions, first batch. They had good firmware, were raid enhanced. We lost maybe 5 drives in 30 days, then have been stable since. We haven't had any fail in over 2 years.

This really depends on the batch they get and resell. The 2nd batch they got in from their supplier had bad firmware that they wouldn't even sell me.

I think the drives are RMA drives to the manufacturer, who sells them off to a refurbisher or disposal group, that then rebrands and checks them, wipes data, and sells. So you may get fixed drives which have a good chance of being just fine. Especially in the raid enhanced variety or NAS. For desktop drives, not so sure. The RE and NAS are more hardened so a refurb is probably still fine.
I do not think these are pure RMA drive,
if you send the drive for RMA to seagate or WD, they will reuse/fix the drive for later when possible :D.

I had been RMA drives and the return drives seems got "fix" from another "not new" drive.

as I said. when the tortured is done, the drive should be OK

I bought two drive "hitachi" drives ehem.. one failed after badblocks for 2 days. without fee, they sent me another drive and passed badblock. the drive is acting as a spare drive now..

I agree, non desktop drive should better with some less risk, but the risk is still there. I would get extra drives and make raidz2/3 with backup :p..