Without nic-bonding

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

moblaw

Jun 23, 2017
I've run into this problem. The only way to achieve internet access from 1 cable to my dual port "intel x520". Is to setup a nic-bonding-team for both ports. Port 2 will ofc be set failed by the OS, and port 1 gives internet access.

Why can't I just use it regularly as 1 port nic, and "ignore" port 2. What am I missing?

KioskAdmin

Jan 20, 2015
It shouldn't be that way. You should just need to plug 1 cable in and use that without bonding.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
Did it work with a single cable until recently and something happened to make you need to do the bonding to get access?

Is the nic directly attached to your cable/dsl modem?

moblaw

Jun 23, 2017
Did it work with a single cable until recently and something happened to make you need to do the bonding to get access?

Is the nic directly attached to your cable/dsl modem?
I never had success in getting 1 cable to work. I did not change anything recently.

Its connected from a switch.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
Quite odd, the 2 ports should work fine independently unless there is a cable, nic or switch port problem.
My initial guess would be the mac address is the issue, the MAC that is presented to the network in bonded mode is different than what you got with either individual port, and that mac is what is registered with your modem device by the provider.

Do you have a different card that you can try other than the x520, and any different behavior? Attempted direct connection w/o the switch? Tried different cables and made sure on the switch / nic side that the port is up at full duplex and expected rate?

Reactions: MiniKnight

moblaw

Jun 23, 2017
Quite odd, the 2 ports should work fine independently unless there is a cable, nic or switch port problem.
My initial guess would be the mac address is the issue, the MAC that is presented to the network in bonded mode is different than what you got with either individual port, and that mac is what is registered with your modem device by the provider.

Do you have a different card that you can try other than the x520, and any different behavior? Attempted direct connection w/o the switch? Tried different cables and made sure on the switch / nic side that the port is up at full duplex and expected rate?
Its full duplex, no problem there. I will test later but when, I do not exactly know. I will post my results, trying different things. :)