Wireless networking (Netgear APs)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zicoz

Jan 7, 2011
My network currently constists of one Netgear WNDR3700 router (which acts as the DHCP and AP) and a couple of HP 1810 switches.

But I have some weakspots in my wireless network, and I'm also looking to expand it to the new garage we're building.

To do this I'm looking to remove the wireless functionality from the WNDR3700, and instead go with 3 APs in the house, and one in the garage. I also notive that Netgear has a Wireless Management System that only costs about $40 and can controll up to 5 APs, so I'm planing on going with Netgear all the way.

I'm looking to have one encrypted network, and one guest network that guests can use for their phones/MP3/laptops. And I think Netgear offers this on most of their APs.

The plan is to have one AP at each en of the house, and one in the middle, all mounted high up on the walls, so they cover both the 1st and 2nd floor.

Anyone know what Netgear AP is the best one?

Should all APs run on the same channel? Or will that make them "cancel" each other out?

Last edited:

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
It seems to me that you shouldn't be so quick to select Netgear and then ask which one is best. Better approach would be to list a set of requirements (or desires) for the APs and then look for the best product to match them. From what you describe I might start with this list:

- Quality RF performance (obvious)
- Support for multiple SSID. At least two so that you can run your "private" wireless LAN and a "guest" wireless LAN
- VLAN support (so that you can carry traffic from each separate SSID to your router on a single cable)
- Power via POE (you probably want this...then all you have to do is run a single Cat-5/6 cable to wherever you hide it).
- Central management system
- Attractiveness (if you put it somehwere it can be seen, your spouse might be happier if it doesn't look like crap...)
- etc.

There's probably more, but once you complete your list it is a lot easier to look at what is out there and decide if it meets your needs or not. Somebody else's idea of "best" might be great for them - but might not be right for you if it is missing one of your key requirements.

As for the channel thing - normally, for a 3 AP wireless LAN, you would set each AP to use a different one of the 3 non-overlapping channels (1, 6, 11). Then establish exactly the same set of SSIDs to broadcast and have each SSID use exactly the same parameters and security settings on each AP. That way the 802.11 "roaming" capability built into almost devices will simple switch around to the best signal as you wander around the house.

Once you have your requirement list fleshed out a bit more I am sure there are dozens of us out here who can point you in the right directions.

zicoz

Jan 7, 2011
Thank you.

The reason why I started with Netgear is two fold, I've had quite a few Netgear products before and I've allways ben happy with their products, and the 2nd is that they have cheap central management system ($40) which would make it easier to set up.

As for requirements:

- QRFP - Not 100% sure, but I guess this means basic quality of connection? If so yes obviously :)
- Multiple SSID - Yes
- VLAN - Yes
- PoE - Would be nice, but not a must have since I have places that I can place them that have power, but less cables are always nice :)
- CMS - Yes please
- Attractiveness - Not really needed since they'll be out of sight.