Windows Storage Spaces 2016 - on Fire!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zer0gravity

Feb 15, 2013
So, I have a small server with 12x 4TB drives connected via SAS and 6x 8TB drives connected via USB (hate my life). *rebuilding all this with a Dell 3060e to a Dell host server in the future.

My current problem, is one of the internal drives died 4TB and I've followed some steps of how to "retire" the drive and then "repair" the volume. (I have added the 8TB drives via USB as a replacement to the internal drive.)

The problem is that it is not really moving and there is no way I can access any of my data.

Replacing a Failed Disk in Windows Server 2012 R2 Storage Spaces with PowerShell

Anyone have any experience with Storage Spaces 2016?

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
No... <ducking for cover - trying to hide in the office adjacent to my own...>

You have added the new disk? right?

then have you retired the old disk?

then have you run optimize-storagepool?

and then run repair-virtualdisk on all of you VD's?

also look for a post I did a few years back that has a powershell code in it to replace disks in place.

Chris

NISMO1968

[ ... ]
Oct 19, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.vmware.com
Yup. Old "Storage Spaces" engine didn't change much.

So, I have a small server with 12x 4TB drives connected via SAS and 6x 8TB drives connected via USB (hate my life). *rebuilding all this with a Dell 3060e to a Dell host server in the future.

My current problem, is one of the internal drives died 4TB and I've followed some steps of how to "retire" the drive and then "repair" the volume. (I have added the 8TB drives via USB as a replacement to the internal drive.)

The problem is that it is not really moving and there is no way I can access any of my data.

Replacing a Failed Disk in Windows Server 2012 R2 Storage Spaces with PowerShell

Anyone have any experience with Storage Spaces 2016?

zer0gravity

Feb 15, 2013
No... <ducking for cover - trying to hide in the office adjacent to my own...>

You have added the new disk? right?

then have you retired the old disk?

then have you run optimize-storagepool?

and then run repair-virtualdisk on all of you VD's?

also look for a post I did a few years back that has a powershell code in it to replace disks in place.

Chris
I have added a new disk and tired an old disk....where I fail is removing the retired disk! It will not take! Really not happy!

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
you have to repair the VD.

if you do not, it will not allow you to remove it. also are any VD simple and not mirrored or parity?

Chris