Windows/SMB/CIFS permissions for dummies?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

crazyj

Nov 19, 2015
Does anyone have a good resource explaining how (and better yet why) to set up users and permissions between napp-it / OmniOS (AIO if it matters)and windows?

Apologies for the noobishness, but maybe I have an overly simple setup. There’s only my single windows admin user. When I setup napp-it the first time, pretty sure I just turned on smb with guest allowed and when I mapped my shares in windows I either mapped them as guest or may have used root/pwd.

Am I missing a level of complexity that I should have paid more attention to?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
If you enable guest access on a share, you can connect the share without entering name/pw with modify permissions. If you share a filesystem without the guest setting, you must enter a name/pw (OmniOS first tries the name/pw of your local Windows machine. With same name/pw on OmniOS you can access directly). You can then restrict access based on users.

crazyj

Nov 19, 2015
So, it’s just that simple. I was sure I was missing out on some sort of functionality, but it’s just an access / no access thing then. Hmm.

Thanks again Gea.