Windows Server OS via eBay

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

The Gecko

Jan 4, 2015
I've got an aging file server running an MSDN copy of Windows Server 2012 R2. I'd like to replace it with WS2019. There are always copies showing up on eBay. Can someone offer suggestions on what to look for / what to stay away from when purchasing a Windows Server OS through eBay? Perhaps even suggest a vendor you've worked with before? Thanks!

EagerToLearn

Feb 25, 2020
I can only speak for the Professional licence, but I haven't had a bad experience yet.

Afaik the keys are so cheap, because they were intended for business applications (where they are sold at a discount) and then resold (without having been activated).

A good indicator is probably the join date of the ebay account and the rating.

Magnet

Jan 25, 2018
North Florida
Approach with caution is the best option. I never just buy keys, however, sometimes I will buy a sealed copy of the software from a reputable dealer. Also, if server is $50, its likely not legit.

A good example is Win 7 Pro licenses. They are good to activate Win 10 Pro on (in my case) laptops that came with Win 10 Home. I only buy the sealed copies and have not been disappointed yet.

brinox

May 7, 2013
I bought two Windows Server 2019 Enterprise licenses last summer. I recently reactivated one of them after redoing my homelab server. Still working like a charm. Sellers may be hit or miss but these keys activate properly, but are most likely against the terms of service/EULA that are legally attached to them.

I would only buy these for personal usage. DO NOT buy and use these for a business at all, as this decision would make the company liable and your employment very questionable if M$ comes after the company.

Reactions: Jeff Robertson

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
If you're needing this for a business, or any other form of commerce, I have no knowledge.

If this is a home lab or other non-commercial server though, Microsoft allows you to use an evaluation copy up to almost 3 years. Evaluation copies are good for 180 days, and that counter can be reset in place (no need to reinstall) up to 6 times, for just under 3 years total (1080 days) . I think that for a lot of home lab/tinkerers, 3 years is enough, because there's usually a newer product by then that they can move on to. Copies of almost all the Microsoft Server Products are available for evaluation, but I don't know if all can be reset in this manner for longer term use.

AFAIK this is definitely meant for non-commercial users though. I think that anyone that uses this technique in a commercial environment violates the EULA and opens themselves up to liability issues.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Just like ebay, you kinda have to wade through and find the legit sources. There are a couple.
The keys may work, however they are not legitimate licenses. It's easy money to resell MAKs. The ones I had through a previous employer were good for 2500 activations. With some simple math, one can see why selling them is so lucrative. It's really no different than you buying pirated DVDs back in the day. If you aren't getting a COA with it (no key seller does this) then it's not legitimate.

Reactions: Jannis Jacobsen

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
The keys may work, however they are not legitimate licenses. It's easy money to resell MAKs. The ones I had through a previous employer were good for 2500 activations. With some simple math, one can see why selling them is so lucrative. It's really no different than you buying pirated DVDs back in the day. If you aren't getting a COA with it (no key seller does this) then it's not legitimate.
Even for small businesses, paying Microsoft for 10 keys gets you 50 activations on some products (the extras for hardware issues, reinstallations, etc.) Ours even included a number of keys & activations for the prior generation product to facilitate rollbacks, troubleshooting, etc. So lots of room for the unethical types to sell off the excess, especially the prior gen keys once installations are stable.