Windows Server 2019/Hyper-V licensing?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
So I've been trying to figure out what I need to do. I've spent several months playing with 2 WS-2019 VMs under esxi 6.7. No licensing yet. I intend to, since I'm happy with the results. I *am* thinking of migrating to Hyper-V, but am not sure what I am supposed to do. From what I read, if I fully license the physical server (currently running esxi 6.7) for WS-2019 with the Hyper-V role (2 8-core sockets), that should cover 2 virtual WS-2019 guests, so I'd be good there. My confusion: I understand that if I install Hyper-V alone, there is no expiration, so I don't need to license it. But, I am addicted to doing stuff in the GUI, so I'd rather go the route of installing WS-2019 + Hyper-V role. What I don't understand is: if I apply the license key to the physical server, how do I license the guests? All the articles I've read explain all kinds of other esoterica, but not this :( Do I apply the same license key to the 2 guests, and the Microsoft licensing servers 'figure it all out'? Something else?

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
I'm only doing Standard edition, not Datacenter. I read that AVMA only works with Datacenter editon?

Reactions: tomaash

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
If you need more than 2 windows server vms, you just buy another standard license per 2 vms.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
I'm not being clear, I guess. I have a physical server and 2 windows VMs. I buy enough licenses (8 2-packs) to license 'the whole physical server'. What I am asking is: where do I *apply* the license? To the physical host? If so, how do I license the guests? Apply the same license key to both of them, and microsoft licensing server understands that 2 are guests and 1 is a physical host? Something else?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Apply the same license key to both of them, and microsoft licensing server understands that 2 are guests and 1 is a physical host?
I didn't tried it yet but what I remember from mdl posts is that microsoft allows 3 activations, the 4th activation will require you to contact the support* and sort the "problems" out.

*Unless you don't mind the black screen reminding you that there is a problem with the activation :D

JSchuricht

Apr 4, 2011
I didn't tried it yet but what I remember from mdl posts is that microsoft allows 3 activations, the 4th activation will require you to contact the support* and sort the "problems" out.

*Unless you don't mind the black screen reminding you that there is a problem with the activation :D
Thats exactly how it worked last time I tried it. Single standard host with GUI activated then two standard guests activated without issue using the same issue. I did have to do it by phone due to lack of internet access so I can't confirm online activation works the same.

saravalkyrie

Mar 7, 2021
I'm not being clear, I guess. I have a physical server and 2 windows VMs. I buy enough licenses (8 2-packs) to license 'the whole physical server'. What I am asking is: where do I *apply* the license? To the physical host? If so, how do I license the guests? Apply the same license key to both of them, and microsoft licensing server understands that 2 are guests and 1 is a physical host? Something else?
To use the AVMA on standard with two windows server VM's you would need to license the host with the correct packs to cover your hosts core count. The two VM's you then activate with the AVMA client keys.

If you then go above two VM's on server standard, you would need to buy enough "packs" to cover the VMs core count and apply the license key directly in the VM.

Reactions: Evan