Windows Server 2016 Oem Activation error

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ZigHaz

Dec 13, 2019
I recently purchased 3 Lenovo ThinkSystem Sr635 7y99. They came with VMware ESXI 6.7 U3 on them. I also got a Windows Server 2016 Std disc with each.

I installed Windows Server 2016 in a VM successfully after adding the below line to the config file of the VM following the instructions in the link below.
SMBIOS.reflectHost TRUE
Unable to install Microsoft Windows Server using Lenovo BIOS-Locked media in VMware ESXi hypervisor - Lenovo ThinkSystem - US

I now cant get Windows to Activate properly. It throws an error 0xc004f057.

The disc did not come with a product key code, I believe it is tied to Bios or something. Windows shows me only the last 5 digits of the product key code.

The issue is similar to what the below link describes with a dell server
Activating Windows Server 2016 Essentials OEM license in VMWare on PowerEdge R230 - Dell Community.

I have called Lenovo a couple times and have been told that I have to get the Product Key Code from sales. Sales won't really respond, I have reached out to them twice. Microsoft Activation told me I need a product key code to be able to do anything.

The only thing that I can think I can do is purchase yet another copy of Windows server 2016 that isn't tied to the machine. I already purchased a copy for each machine. I am not exactly wanting to do that but I may not have any other choice.

I am pretty frustrated and not sure what to do. Has anyone had issues like this.

JSchuricht

Apr 4, 2011
It may deactivate but you could try installing 2016 on bare metal then doing a P2V conversion and importing on that same server. If nothing else you would be able to see if there is a license in the BIOS and maybe even do a phone activation if it deactivates after P2V conversion.

Reactions: SRussell

ZigHaz

Dec 13, 2019
I have tried a couple different methods installing Windows Server on bare metal and it fails.

Ecosse thank you for the link. I went through it and found a way to get the product key code. I had tried a couple different ways before you posted that article. But that worked. So know I hav . the product key code and I can try s couple work arounds I found that require the product key code.

Thanks for the help.

Reactions: ecosse